Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Rear drum brake question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cmmiu is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear drum brake question

Hi all, I just did a complete rear drum brake replacement (wheel cylinder, shoes, drum) on my '00 Civic. After putting the passenger side back together, I realized that I installed the horse shoe-shaped retaining clip (that retains the trailing shoe to the parking brake lever) on the wrong side of the shoe (see attached pic; the retaining clip is the one just to the bottom left of the wheel cylinder and above the green-colored main return spring). The retaining clip shouldn't be visible; in other words, I installed the pin that secures the trailing shoe and parking brake lever in from the wrong direction. As a result, it appears there's light contact between the retaining clip and the main return spring. Should I be worried about that? I'm concerned that the return spring would become damaged from chaffing over time and potentially break. Or is a little contact no big deal? It was a pain to get everything back together so that's why I'm asking as I don't really want to tear it all back apart. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4486.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	90024  
Old 07-16-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rear drum brake question

contact between the retaining clip and the main return spring. Should I be worried about that?
Best correct it now, it could cause much bigger problems if something goes wrong while you are driving on the road.
Old 03-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Correct it now. Don't wait for it to cause more problems!
Old 03-20-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
Correct it now. Don't wait for it to cause more problems!
Why are we responding to 8 month old threads with no useful information added?!?
Old 03-20-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GolNat
Why are we responding to 8 month old threads with no useful information added?!?