Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Auto Tranny Fluid: Flush or Change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ThatDSeriesKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Auto Tranny Fluid: Flush or Change?

Hi, sorry if this has been asked already, I did a few searches and couldn't find anything.
I have a 96 Civic EX that is currently at 302k miles, the question I have is, is it appropriate to flush the whole system, or to change it without fully flushing it in a car with this kind of milage. My car hasn't had a change in at least 2 years.
Thanks
Old 12-02-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Auto Tranny Fluid: Flush or Change?

Drain and fill only. Never use a machine or chemicals.

You can drain and fill, then drive it, then drain and fill again....repeat until fluid is as clean as you want it
Old 12-02-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
Drain and fill only. Never use a machine or chemicals.

You can drain and fill, then drive it, then drain and fill again....repeat until fluid is as clean as you want it
This!!!

In case you need more reassurance
Old 12-02-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

I Personally would Just keep doing the drain and fill untill the fluid is at its right cleanest looking coloure No need for flushing it through any machine Garages/shops Only use them to speed up the process but on a older vehicle like Yours it sometimes could "not always" harm the tranny by loosening dirt and pluging up a valve body so... the Safer and more time consuming method is the drain and fill method thats been Proven time & time again that Works.
Old 12-02-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

while were on the topic of transmission fuid i will be doing a drain and fill on the 8th gen civic next year using Royal Purple syncromax Manual Trans Fluid.

Old 12-02-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Put the proper Honda manual fluid in it ffs