Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Key stuck in ignition/shifter moves without pressing brake or button or car being on

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018
Default_Slayer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default_Slayer will become famous soon enoughDefault_Slayer will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Key stuck in ignition/shifter moves without pressing brake or button or car being on

98 Honda Civic Lx Auto
Key comes out with battery disconnected, but when it is connected key will not come out.

car starts and shuts off, but will not move to the position where it is able to come out. shifter can move freely without the car being on from park to wherever I want it and I can shift it any where with the car being on and not pressing the brake (which is scary considering i put it in reverse by accident only going 5mph).

I took the center console out and noticed it looked like a pin of somesort was broke that might be there to keep the shifter from moving? I Felt like these two things are connected.

car shows its in park or wherever I have it on gauge cluster. Any help is appreciated!
Old 01-20-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Key stuck in ignition/shifter moves without pressing brake or button or car being

shifter can move freely without the car being on from park to wherever I want it and.....

.....and noticed it looked like a pin of somesort was broke that might be there to keep the shifter from moving?
Take it apart and operate the thumb button while watching what all moves.

Whatever broke is preventing the thumb button from doing its job (having to press the button in in order to go over the detent to change positions), and that mechanism has to trip a microswitch when the button is released in the park position before the system will let the key turn all the way back to get the key out.

If it's broke, you might want to just get a complete shifter assembly at the junkyard and bolt it to the floor?
Old 07-31-2019
Registered!!

Orlando Sanchez is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Key stuck in ignition/shifter moves without pressing brake or button or car being

Is there any way to just purchase the parts that are broken on the shifter? Instead of buying the whole shifter?
Old 07-31-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

From the dealer you can, probably could from a junkyard too.
Way cheaper and easier to just get an entire one from a junkyard, probably be $30
Old 08-02-2019
Registered!!

Orlando Sanchez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin42
From the dealer you can, probably could from a junkyard too.
Way cheaper and easier to just get an entire one from a junkyard, probably be $30
Thank you I will try that.