Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'99 LX Hard Shift / Thunk when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slicer1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
'99 LX Hard Shift / Thunk when shifting

Here lately my 99 LX has been making a thunking noise shifting from 1st to 2nd, it's almost like a hard shift, only I can only really hear it and not feel it. it almost sounds like hitting small pothole or something

gearbox fluid is fine, not burnt, not dark black, but not bright pink either. I plan on doing a home flush to it at some point soon...

any ideas? How prone to failure are these gearboxes?
Old 11-20-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: '99 LX Hard Shift / Thunk when shifting

Do and ATF drain and fill. Google 3x3 atf drain and fill if you want to go that route.
Locate the shift soelnoids on top of the transmission housing, clean the solenoid gasket screen. You can test them as well: http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/hon...lenoid-tests-1

Could also be an inner CV axle issue?
Old 11-20-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Do and ATF drain and fill. Google 3x3 atf drain and fill if you want to go that route.
Locate the shift soelnoids on top of the transmission housing, clean the solenoid gasket screen. You can test them as well: http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/hon...lenoid-tests-1

Could also be an inner CV axle issue?
Any recommendations on cleaning the solenoids? What should I use?
Old 11-20-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Slicer1989
Any recommendations on cleaning the solenoids? What should I use?
Brake cleaner spray or throttle body spray will work.
Old 12-05-2017
Registered!!

Also, What would cause it to kind of jerk when it goes into torque converter lock-up? It seems like anytime it goes into that, I can feel it jerk into lock-up....
Old 12-05-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Also, What would cause it to kind of jerk when it goes into torque converter lock-up? It seems like anytime it goes into that, I can feel it jerk into lock-up....
Those cars were kinda like that. Probably normal.

Later cars (7th gens) got a bit smoother about engaging the TCC.
Old 12-05-2017
Registered!!

so, it's nothing to worry about? Is there anything I can clean or adjust to make it a little less jerky?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 12-05-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2017

so, it's nothing to worry about? Is there anything I can clean or adjust to make it a little less jerky?
Follow Dong's advice in reply #3. Use Lubegard red additive to the drain & fill.
Old 12-05-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

so, it's nothing to worry about?
IF it is normal, then it's normal and nothing to worry about.
But if it is not normal for that type of car/engine/transmission, you can worry.
Duh.

So figure out if it's normal and typical. Or not.
If you can find someone with an identical car that has no complaints about their transmission, drive it (or have them take you for a ride) so you can experience it and compare with how yours drives.

Is there anything I can clean or adjust to make it a little less jerky?
If it's normal, then no.
Routine fluid service with proper Honda spec fluid (DW-1) is always encouraged.

Those cars always shifted rather firmly. You KNOW it shifted a gear when it does.
Got failing engine or trans mounts?
Old 12-06-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
IF it is normal, then it's normal and nothing to worry about.
But if it is not normal for that type of car/engine/transmission, you can worry.
Duh.

So figure out if it's normal and typical. Or not.
If you can find someone with an identical car that has no complaints about their transmission, drive it (or have them take you for a ride) so you can experience it and compare with how yours drives.

If it's normal, then no.
Routine fluid service with proper Honda spec fluid (DW-1) is always encouraged.

Those cars always shifted rather firmly. You KNOW it shifted a gear when it does.
Got failing engine or trans mounts?
will do.

And I am not sure if they are failing or not, The car does seem to vibrate alot and sometimes it feels like the engine is bolted directly to the chassis rather than through mounts. How do I check if they are bad? Is it the same any other car? (Putting in gear, foot firmly on brake - giving it gas and seeing if the engine moves alot more than normal?)
Old 12-06-2017

will do.

And I am not sure if they are failing or not, The car does seem to vibrate alot and sometimes it feels like the engine is bolted directly to the chassis rather than through mounts. How do I check if they are bad? Is it the same any other car? (Putting in gear, foot firmly on brake - giving it gas and seeing if the engine moves alot more than normal?)
That's one of the first things to try.

Visually inspecting the rubber portions of the mounts is another, and seeing if any have collapsed or been mis-assembled--that mount on the nose of the engine....the hardware may have been missed during a timing belt or saimilar service?