Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSCS6313 is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake lines

Can anyone tell me why the hard brake lines that go from the prop valve to the rear wheels for a 97 Civic are almost 3 time the price they are for a 99- 2000 Civic? Are they the same lines?
Old 11-17-2017
Registered!!

old97civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Brake lines

Are you referring to pre-made direct fit OEM lines? I went through changing my rear brake lines around this time of year in 2015. Because of the bends in the line, I don't think it's possible to install a rigid pre-made piece unless you drop the subframe. There are tight spaces where the lines run both in the engine bay and at the back near the fuel tank. Far easier to get a coil of flexible copper-nickel tubing of the right size and cut/bend to length. You will need to double flare for the nuts at the ends though.

Also, if you're ripping out the 2 rear brake lines, you'll be right next to the 3 fuel lines, you should have a look at these and replace at the same time if you can.

Here's my brake line thread from 2015:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...placement.html

Also, my fuel line thread from about a year ago:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...placement.html
Old 11-17-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Much easier and cheaper to buy a roll of line and fittings, most part stores will let you rent the flare tools. There's probably a dozen different youtube videos on how to flare and bend lines. If you get the nickel/copper brake line its very easy to work with and will never rust out compared to the steel line. And get a set of line wrenches if you don't already have some.

And like old97civic said, take a good look at your fuel lines, chances are you may need to replace them as well. I followed his thread to replace the fuel lines on my girlfriend's car.
Old 11-17-2017
Registered!!

DSCS6313 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, the OEM lines. The ones for 96 to 98 are almost 3 times the price of the 99 to 00 ones. Was wondering if there was any differance in them. Going to replace the stock fuel lines with braided line. Son and I are doing a H22 swap so the engine bay is empty, makes it easier to work on both systems.
Old 11-17-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

If you pull the subframe that will make it alot easier to run the lines, I honestly wouldn't bother with the oem lines.
Old 11-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A roll of brake line* is a single price no matter what car you want to install it on LOL

*Some assembly required

The Cu-Ni alloy lines are an absolute dream to work with.