Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Acceleration loss while driving, no CEL

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C24Creed is an unknown quantity at this point
Acceleration loss while driving, no CEL

Hi, I just finished my P0336 malfunction thread and after a few days this issue arises again, but this time no CEL!

History: Replaced battery,alternator, distributor, timing, tps, and iacv. Cleaned throttle body.

P0336 was fixed so my car stopped losing power and regained its acceleration performance. Before it would sputter and jerk at high accel now it does not.

The current issue is that if Im accelerating slowly it loses power to acceleration. If I floor it,the car will drive fine once I pick up speeds. Cruising is also fine. This is literally the opposite of the acceleration issue I had with p0336,however same type of acceleration loss.

To clarify, the TPS is calibrated at .51v closed, 4.49v open.It is secured,as I recheck everytime I drive.

Any thoughts that could cause sudden acceleration loss, which is predominantly at low rps/low accel speed?
Old 09-28-2017
Registered!!

orbanp is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Acceleration loss while driving, no CEL

I am going out on a limb here, but do not just check the cal voltages of the TPS, but measure if the viper gives "smooth" voltage variation between 0.5V and 4.5V as you move the throttle.
Your pot could be worn.
If your pot is anything like one a on a Bosch air-flow sensor, then possibly you can fix it.
I have to admit that I am not familiar with the intricacies of a Honda TPS pot, but I have fixed a Bosh air-flow sensor pot. You can Google that, it is a "well known problem" and fix for a well used Bosch sensor.

One more point, do not just measure the changing resistance of the pot with a DMM, do feed it with 5V and measure the voltage variation at the viper. A DMM uses too little current for the measurement. I know this sounds funny to an "electronically minded" person, but it is true.

Good luck, Peter
Old 09-29-2017
Registered!!

C24Creed is an unknown quantity at this point

The answer to my problems was the TPS Sensor. I didnt tighten the allen screws so it adjusted while driving. Really dumb of me.

Then I replaced the stock air filter setup with a performance one and now the car is amazing! 700$ after 4 years and this civic feels like it will drive forever again!

Questiom though,what did you mean by POT?
Old 09-29-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C24Creed
Questiom though,what did you mean by POT?
Common electronic term POT = Potentiometer.

The average TPS is just a potentiometer, also known as a variable resistor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer
Old 09-30-2017
Registered!!

orbanp is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you sorted out your problem!

The measurement I suggested you do would also have shown that there was something wrong with the readings from the potentiometer.

Regards, Peter