Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

auto gear lock won't disengage

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kagan21 is an unknown quantity at this point
auto gear lock won't disengage

hey guys been trying to work on this problem for awhile now. the auto gear lock solenoid it working just fine took it out and tested it. i checked the brake like switch and its working just fine all my light are coming on. is there some other place i should check? and it does work sometimes out of the blue so.... maybe a back connection somewhere? oh and i have a pic what is that black switch just above the shifter pin that has the black and white leads going to it.

Old 09-04-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: auto gear lock won't disengage

Year?
Scanner?
Codes?

TPS voltage too high?

If you have a wiring diagram and a meter you can check most functions from the interlock control unit plug.
Old 09-04-2017
Registered!!

ah u should know this by know ezone lol. 97 civic ex sedan auto, no codes but do have a scanner. TPS was set by shop i take car to sometimes. maybe they didn't get it the TPS set right?
Old 09-04-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kagan21
ah u should know this by know ezone lol. 97 civic ex sedan auto,
Hell no, I CRS and I post in 97% of all threads anymore. Gotta put car info in the first post of every thread...and even then I still might not be able to read it.

no codes but do have a scanner. TPS was set by shop i take car to sometimes. maybe they didn't get it the TPS set right?
PCM watches the TPS to control the shifter interlock, if it thinks the throttle is open it will not allow the shifter to be removed from park.

Plug in scanner, set to live data list, watch the TPS voltage--- needs to be 0.49-0.50 volts with throttle closed and it should not vary.
0.49v is extremely consistent throughout the car line
(If your scanner can only display throttle %, then a voltmeter might be necessary)
If TPS was adjusted incorrectly (or maybe if the cable is set a little too snug it could pull throttle open slightly and) that would make the TPSv stay too high.
IDK what the actual voltage cutoff is for interlock function but it's not very much above that so there is very little room for error.

Last edited by ezone; 09-04-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-04-2017
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

My ex had a suzuki wagon with the same issue, it worked about half the time, the other half she'd have to use the lock release to get it in gear. The solenoid worked fine when applying voltage to it and I tried tracing the wire to find some kind of short but didn't have any luck.

I ended up splicing on a wire from the brake pedal sensor directly to the solenoid to fix it.

i'm assuming the car has a relay somewhere that may have gone bad and that's the cause of the problem.
Old 10-01-2017
Registered!!

UPDATE: turns out the close throttle voltage was to high on the TPS so i had to set up the whole TPS again. after that got my .48v on the CT and 4.5v on WOT the gear lock work just fine. thanks again for the help ezone, i know u said .49 but i was reading this very informative how to and used that information.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...e-tps-2947986/