Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Battery light / Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slicer1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery light / Transmission question

I have a 99 1.6L Auto 4 door Civic... and the battery light is on. The alternator seems to be putting out the correct volts, The battery cranks the car just fine - The P/O said the alternator was replaced and the light is still on. There doesn't seem to be any electrical issues, so I Was wondering what might cause this issue?

Also, Every now and then the transmission will shift pretty hard, Especially if I am, Let's say... Coming into an intersection and the light just turned green, if I am still moving and give it gas, it will sometimes slam into gear... Under normal operation, it seems to shift pretty smooth and no shudder / slipping that I can tell. I was thinking about changing fluid / filter... but with 221k I am a little worried it might make the transmission worse. The fluid doesn't smelled burned, but it's definitely dark. (Not super dark)
Old 09-21-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Battery light / Transmission question

Unplug the 4 wire connector from the alternator and see if the battery light turns off.

Change trans fluid ASAP. Simple drain and fill. Do not use chemicals or a machine.

If you want to flush it all, you could buy a case of fluid and do multiple drain/fill as per Hondas trans fluid service recommendations

Each drain and fill will take about 2.5 quarts

Make sure you have a funnel that will reach the trans dipstick hole before you begin.
I'd use Hondas ATF DW-1, but that's me.
Old 09-22-2017
Registered!!

I'd never use a machine to flush a transmission, I'll do a few drain and fills and see if that helps.

What does unplugging that connection do? I'll check tomorrow when it's light.
Old 09-22-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slicer1989

What does unplugging that connection do?
It's my diagnostic step #1 to see if the alternator has control of the light, or if something else is keeping the light on.
Old 10-14-2017
Registered!!

I never tried disconnecting that plug, but I took it to two different places, and the battery, starting and charging system all passed 100%.... The light isn't 100% bright, during the day I can barely see it on, and at night it isn't super bright, but more noticeable.
Old 10-14-2017

The alternator can be bad and still charge.
First you need to figure out if the alternator is the item keeping the warning light on.

Unplug the harness...if the warning light goes out then the voltage regulator is faulty (assuming nobody hacked the wiring together incorrectly).
If the light stays on then you need more investigation.
Old 10-14-2017
Registered!!

Unplugged the cable on there, and the light went out.
Old 10-14-2017

Originally Posted by Slicer1989
Unplugged the cable on there, and the light went out.
You checked this with the engine running, yes?
Alternator internal fault (voltage regulator can't turn the light off).
Replace alternator.

See if previous owner who replaced it got a warranty with that.
Old 10-14-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You checked this with the engine running, yes?
Alternator internal fault (voltage regulator can't turn the light off).
Replace alternator.

See if previous owner who replaced it got a warranty with that.
Yes, With the engine running... Even shut down the car and restarted it, Light stayed out until I reconnected it.

Doesn't really look like the alternator was replaced, or if it was... It was with a junkyard one.