Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

distributor question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic98? is an unknown quantity at this point
distributor question

SO I swapped out motors in car. 98 civic 1.6 and the yard I got the motor from kept distributor. put mine in and didn't have a plug wire in cap all the way i suppose 2 days later car wouldn't start . how i found the wire out! since then I have no spark would this cause the coil to go bad or what ? I found a new distributor on amazon for $60 with everything just wondering if it is that or a crank sensor or something else no spark at coil also.
Old 09-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: distributor question

check for spark at a spark plug, is the first thing i would do,

if you DO HAVE spark, then your timing is probably off, you will need to set it using a timing light
Old 09-13-2017
Registered!!

No spark I drove the car for 2 days after swap.
Old 09-13-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by civic98?
put mine in and didn't have a plug wire in cap all the way i suppose 2 days later car wouldn't start . how i found the wire out! .
Having trouble following this statement. Are you saying you found a loose spark plug wire and then after you connected it properly it will not start?

Aftremarket distributors aren't a good choice for Honda engines.

Are you guessing it doesn't have spark or did you check for spark as Mikey mentioned?
Old 09-13-2017
Registered!!

There was a wire out of the cap. put it back in. still wouldn't start. no spark at wire or coil. why don't aftermarket work?
Old 09-13-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by civic98?
why don't aftermarket work?
Not saying it won't work..more likely won't last nearly as long as OEM. Also an aftermarket may not include an OEM coil and igniter. IIRC some 6th gens used TEC and some used Hitachi ICM's

Please post a link of the distributor you've purchased or intend to purchase.

Have you read this thread?: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...eck-spark.html

Last edited by Wankenstein; 09-13-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-13-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

how i found the wire out! since then I have no spark would this cause the coil to go bad or what ?
Short answer is YES it can kill a weak coil.
Old 09-14-2017
Registered!!

I have no spark at plugs or coil best I can tell . The coil looks to have a burn mark like a short on the side of it. I would of thought crank sensor had the plug wire not come out of cap which is probably my fault I didn't have it in all the way I guess. The used motor I put in ran fine for 2 days parked it went to drive it to work and wouldn't start. opened the hood seen the plug and tested what I could fuses, coil so on . new distributor comes tomorrow let you know how it goes. I didn't go all out on it cause it's a beater car my son drives and it has a 1 yr warranty on dist.

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

Just wanted to update. I installed new distributor runs fine so far. after looking at old one seems that the coil may have arked off the housing as the coil has a burn mark on the side of it.