Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 Si smoking

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starionesir is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 Si smoking

I recently purchased a 2000 si. Runs good with plenty of power but was told it smokes pretty well when driving. Can't really see it in the mirror but you can smell engine oil. Compression is pretty much 160 across the board. That was done on a cold engine and not wet. Start up does not show any smoke which would lead me towards valve seals. Any other ideas?

Its possible the oil control rings are shot and top two compression rings are still ok but that would be a little out of the ordinary.
Old 09-19-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 2000 Si smoking

Any oil leaking onto exhaust?
Could be stuck oil control rings regardless of compression. Have someone follow you and do several hard acceleration and deceleration bursts.
Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starionesir is an unknown quantity at this point

No external oil leaks. My friend was following me and that is how I found out about the smoking while it was driving. Smoking is much worse under hard acceleration. Oddly enough the spark plugs really don't show signs of burning alot of oil.

I've had the oil pan off and valve cover fixing some leaks. All was clean inside so the previous owner appears to have been at least keeping up with regular oil changes. Possible the oil control rings might be stuck from carbon or varnish. Might try and put some sea foam down each cylinder and let it sit for the day and see if it may help free them up. Or its just really bad leaking valve seals but again it doesn't smoke on start up.
Old 09-19-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by starionesir
No external oil leaks. My friend was following me and that is how I found out about the smoking while it was driving. Smoking is much worse under hard acceleration. Oddly enough the spark plugs really don't show signs of burning alot of oil.

I've had the oil pan off and valve cover fixing some leaks. All was clean inside so the previous owner appears to have been at least keeping up with regular oil changes. Possible the oil control rings might be stuck from carbon or varnish. Might try and put some sea foam down each cylinder and let it sit for the day and see if it may help free them up. Or its just really bad leaking valve seals but again it doesn't smoke on start up.
Here's a discussion on oil rings vs valve seals: https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...s-bad-2314064/

Some people try MMO piston soaks but the success rate is probably low.