Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Heat or air but not both

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGM1966 is an unknown quantity at this point
Heat or air but not both

I have a 1999 Civic that my daughter drove while in college. The local mechanic would switch something to make either the heat or the air to work . If she switched it from heat to air it would switch but then it would not switch back .so which ever one he set it to she couldn't change it or it would not switch back. She took it to him 2 or 3 times just trying to get by till she graduated and got a new vehicle.I know it is probably going to be a pain to properly fix but if anyone can tell me what it is that needs replacing I would appreciate it.
Old 09-03-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heat or air but not both

Start at the water valve for the heater core.
See if the cable moves the lever about 90 degrees when you move the temp control from cold to hot.
If not, figure out why it doesn't.
Old 09-03-2017
Registered!!

It barely moves cable apx 1/4". Not sure where or what to check next.
Old 09-03-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is the cable housing (or sheath, the outer part of the cable) securely attached to the water valve? If it slips out of its holder then it won't push the lever for the valve.

Then follow the cable through the firewall to the bottom of the heater housing, get a flashlight, and see if the same issue is happening there where it attaches to the heater linkage.

Basically inspect both ends of the cable system to see where the problem lies.
Old 09-03-2017
Registered!!

Ok will do thanks