Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

replace motor or repair head.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic98? is an unknown quantity at this point
replace motor or repair head.

SO my sons 98 civic for sure blew a head gasket. Not sure if the head is damaged . I can get a used motor for $350. Is it best to replace motor or the head?. I would say just the gasket but not knowing how the head is makes me wonder what to do.? it's a D16Y8 engine 1.6 auto. car itself only has 131K on it. not rust 2dr. also is it best to drop it out the bottum or top of engine bay. ? thanks for any advice. car runs but no power
Old 08-28-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: replace motor or repair head.

How bad did it overheat?
If it was run until got so hot it shut down on its own, I'd replace the engine.

If it didn't get that hot then I'd go for the head gasket job. If you DIY (FREE) you can yank the head off and have it measured to see if it needs milled.
Old 08-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic98? is an unknown quantity at this point

Over heated bad, as to where it would barely start and not move. I had to tow it home. Lucky wasn't far from home. It will fire right up but soon as it gets a bit warm.. forget driving it.. does it cost a lot to test a head? I can rip it out no problem just wasn't sure of the cost to test and replace. ( kid is 17 didn't realize how bad it was )
Old 08-29-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by civic98?
Over heated bad, as to where it would barely start and not move. I had to tow it home. Lucky wasn't far from home. It will fire right up but soon as it gets a bit warm.. forget driving it.. does it cost a lot to test a head? I can rip it out no problem just wasn't sure of the cost to test and replace. ( kid is 17 didn't realize how bad it was )
Do a dry and wet compression test on it for possible cylinder ring damage.
Even if it checks out okay there could be internal damage (wrist pins, bearings, etc..) from severe overheat. Refer to Ezone's advice.

If you decide to do a headgasket ..the head will most likely be warped. Check the head and block for flatness with a precision straight edge and feeler gauges (youtube). If the head is out of spec (greater than .002") then it must be milled. 130k miles on this engine is not a lot considering they often reach above 200k. A used engine is a crap-shoot as well unless you find one that's running and can be tested.

Last edited by ezone; 08-29-2017 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spec correction
Old 08-29-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

^corrected spec to .002"

Over heated bad, as to where it would barely start and not move. I had to tow it home.
I'd say to replace the engine, but make sure to go through the new used engine before installing it. Fresh gaskets, timing belt, head gasket while it's out of the car, etc.
Old 08-29-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
^corrected spec to .002"
Thanks for the correction. I got that spec from an OldSkoolFunk youtube video when he was replacing a Civic headgasket.

Originally Posted by ezone
I'd say to replace the engine, but make sure to go through the new used engine before installing it. Fresh gaskets, timing belt, head gasket while it's out of the car, etc.
For LKQ engines all that + waterpump, thermostat is a requirement for warranty.