Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Chewing gum down parking brake gap

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017
prr
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prr is an unknown quantity at this point
Chewing gum down parking brake gap

I just pushed a cube of Ice chewing gum down the gap in between the front seats of my 98 Civic DX. There is a small (say, 2"x3") flap that extends from the parking brake handle that looks like its purpose is to cover the gap, but it doesn't do the job well. I dropped the gum down, and when I put my fingers down there to retrieve it, it fell down even more.

OK now. Is this anything I need to worry about? It is hard for me to imagine how some chewing gum might interfere with a parking brake, but I figured I would ask. I don't know if I should just spray a can of WD-40 all over the blankety blank place down there, just to be sure.
Old 08-17-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Chewing gum down parking brake gap

I wouldnt worry about it. If you want to pull the console off its like 6 or 8 screws. Very easy
Old 08-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chewing gum down parking brake gap

There is a small (say, 2"x3") flap that extends from the parking brake handle that looks like its purpose is to cover the gap, but it doesn't do the job well.
That sounds like the piece you have to take out to clear the parking brake handle when you remove the center console.