Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil leak and Idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
definedmookis is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil leak and Idle issues

Hello,
I have a 2000 Honda Civic lx 1.6. First of all I've had an oil leak around my engine from what my mechanic said a few years ago. All I've had to do was just add oil frequently. Anyway my car has sat for about a year and a half without starting. I went like a week and a half without starting and then it wouldn't start again so it just sat. Recently I've tried to get it going because i'm moving. I changed the oil, spark plugs, fuel filter and drained and flushed the coolant and lastly added good gas over the bad. I have an idle problem...sometimes it doesn't start immed. but it always happens...it will jump from 1500 to 2000 or a little over. Its like its reving itself. I've watched videos to see how to fix it but I haven't tried anything yet. Please give opinions!
Old 08-01-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Oil leak and Idle issues

Originally Posted by definedmookis
Hello,I have a 2000 Honda Civic lx 1.6. First of all I've had an oil leak around my engine
Clean your engine as best as possible with Gunk (brand) engine cleaner and disposable rags. Run engine and start searching from the top of the engine downwards. Can sprinkle baby powder all over the engine too if need be.
Typical leak areas are:
Valve cover gasket
Distributor O-ring gasket
Oil pan gasket
Crankshaft seal
Camshaft seal
Rear main seal
PCV grommet

Also check CV axle boots and transmission seal if it's an automatic.

added good gas over the bad.
New gas over bad gas equals bad gas. Drain or syphon the tank then add Heet water remover and fresh gas. Replace fuel filter.

I have an idle problem...sometimes it doesn't start immed. but it always happens...it will jump from 1500 to 2000 or a little over. Its like its reving itself. I've watched videos to see how to fix it but I haven't tried anything yet. Please give opinions!
Remove and clean IAC valve and screen
Remove and clean throttle body thoroughly
Check throttle cabl adjustment.
Old 08-01-2017
Registered!!

Ok, sounds good. thank you. I sometimes see liquid (dark) spout up from the right side of the engine. Then when I turn the engine off I see that there is liquid drops all over the right side of my car...and a little on the left side. So I know the oil is coming down from the engine onto the ground...but I don't understand why its shooting up from something on the right side...
Old 08-01-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

but I don't understand why its shooting up from something on the right side...
Check the outer CV axle boot for tears.. if it's torn grease leaks out onto rotating axle while driving and that spreads it on bottom of engine and inside of tire rim. If it turns out to be the tear in the boot..it's your call to replace the boot and repack with grease or replace with a new CV half axle shaft. Most people replace the the whole CV axle because it's the same amount of work to do either.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 08-01-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-01-2017
Registered!!

I'll check but I haven't been driving the car...up and down the driveway at times but no road time
Old 08-01-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes see liquid (dark) spout up from the right side of the engine. Then when I turn the engine off I see that there is liquid drops all over the right side of my car...and a little on the left side.
Duh, find the source.

Are you sure it's engine oil? Is it antifreeze?
Make sure you keep oil or whatever it is filled!

the right side of the engine.
Also note: Left and right of any vehicle are determined as you sit in the drivers seat. This does not change no matter where you stand on the outside of the car looking at it.
You said right side, that's the passengers side. Yes?

it will jump from 1500 to 2000 or a little over. Its like its reving itself.
Surges repeatedly? Check for vacuum leaks, IAC valve stuck (probably stuck from lack of use....Tap test?) and low coolant level.

Gas only 1.5 years old? If it runs, I'd drive it til that tank is as low as you can get it before refilling.. It might be a bit doggy because the old fuel burns slower. (I've run stuff on 5+ year old gas but that's dangerous)
Old 08-02-2017
Registered!!

Ok, so the spray is coming from the left side of the engine...I see the spray coming up but I can't place it. And I don't want to drive the car on the street cause the idle problem makes me nervous. I started it today *with limited oil* and the engine started giving off white smoke so I immed. turned off the engine...checked the oil and it was empty so I hope that's why it smoked.

Anyway, from where its spraying from, it can't be antifreeze...the radiator and reserve are on the far right while the engine is in the center *little to the left* and the spray is coming from far left.
Old 08-02-2017

Ok, so the spray is coming from the left side of the engine...I see the spray coming up but I can't place it. And I don't want to drive the car on the street cause the idle problem makes me nervous. I started it today *with limited oil* and the engine started giving off white smoke so I immed. turned off the engine...checked the oil and it was empty so I hope that's why it smoked.
Why would you start the engine without the proper amount of oil?
Did the smoke smell like oil, anifreeze or gas?

Anyway, from where its spraying from, it can't be antifreeze...the radiator and reserve are on the far right while the engine is in the center *little to the left* and the spray is coming from far left.
The coolant system is under pressure and if a radiator or heater hose ruptures or splits coolant can spray all over the engine. However, when coolant dries it leaves white specks. Could be power steering fluid or oil.
Fill oil to proper level, fill radiator and reservoir to proper level, fill power steering fluid to proper level, fill brake fluid to proper level, fill ATF fluid to proper level (if automatic transmission). After that put a large piece of cardboard under engine and transmission and run the engine for 20 minutes and allow to cool off. Check cardboard for type, size and location of leak(s).
Old 08-02-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and run the engine for 20 minutes and allow to cool off. Check cardboard for type, size and location of leak(s).
IDK if that would do any good here.... OP knows it leaks because .......Fluid is SPRAYING OUT fast and far enough to coat the outside of the car while it's running.

Too bad we don't have pictures or video of this mess in action.
I wonder if it makes knocking noises now too.
OP is gonna have to figure out what the source is, or maybe tow it to someone who can.

I once had a 76 Chevette that leaked like that....it didn't leak down the side of the engine, it shot oil all the way to the fender.
Old 08-03-2017

Originally Posted by ezone
IDK if that would do any good here.... OP knows it leaks because .......Fluid is SPRAYING OUT fast and far enough to coat the outside of the car while it's running.
True.

I wonder if it makes knocking noises now too.
As in rod knock or something else?

I once had a 76 Chevette that leaked like that....it didn't leak down the side of the engine, it shot oil all the way to the fender.
Where was the source of the leak?
Old 08-03-2017
Registered!!

I didn't top off the oil because it leaks...I have a pan under the oil tank to catch it but its been raining on and off so I can't reuse it...but I have to catch it so it doesn't leave a big stain. When I put the oil in it will NOT leak...but when I turn the car on *the oil doesn't immed. start leaking* it will start to leak.
I have not checked the power steering fluid, but I will. When I do I can send pictures and I'll try to circle where I think it is coming from...or the area at least. Idk how to post video? If someone tells me I can.
I don't hear any knocking or hissing from a valve...I put my ear to the car after I start it and go all over...and still, no odd sounds.
My oil WILL leak down...but about the spray...after I turned the car off the saw spots going all across the car...so it is spraying pretty far.

Hope that helps. Thank you for your time.
Old 08-03-2017

Idk how to post video? If someone tells me I can.
I post my videos on youtube and then copy and paste the link here.
Once you copy and paste it while you're posting..it usually shows up as a video (and not just a link) here.

I don't hear any knocking or hissing from a valve...I put my ear to the car after I start it and go all over...and still, no odd sounds.
That's good. If you want to amplify engine noise you can use a a piece of small diameter PVC plumbing pipe between the engine and your ear. Another way is with an auto stethoscope. Harbor Freight sells them for $5.

My oil WILL leak down...but about the spray...after I turned the car off the saw spots going all across the car...so it is spraying pretty far.
Check steering fluid. Also inspect a/c, alternator and power steering belts for oil on them. Unfortunately, it looks like you're going to have to check for leaks with the engine running. Understandably you don't want to get stains on your driveway...do you have AAA or towing through your car insurance? If so, consider towing it to a local mechanic and have them check for leaks with the engine running on their lift.

Optionally you can put the front of the car on jack-stands, lay visqueen down first on the driveway and then cardboard on top of the visqueen and run the engine while on jack-stands. Never a good idea to be under a car that is running on jack-stands but you can put chocks on the front and back of the rear tires, E-brake engaged, a helper in the driver's seat to shut engine off if need be. You can inspect from under but to the side of the car instead of directly underneath.
Old 08-06-2017
Registered!!

Old 08-06-2017
Registered!!

There should be three pictures attached to this post for you to see...If someone needs to see a certain something let me know, I shot the video the best I could, along with the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1376.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	111578   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1378.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	111579   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1379.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	111580  
Old 08-06-2017

If it's throwing oil out behind the engine, I might look at the oil filter to see if it's damaged and check the oil pressure switch that controls the warning light.

Just slide under it with a good flashlight and look around for fresh drips, look up the back of the engine for the fresh drips

High idle...same suggestion post #6
Old 08-08-2017
Registered!!

I'm gonna check the oil filter today...that makes sense that, that would be the problem.

Can someone tell me where the IAC is?? I just checked behind the engine (where I thought it was) and I can't find it. It looks like its on the side of the engine but that doesn't make sense...
Old 08-08-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

should be on the throttle body
Old 08-08-2017
Registered!!

Can you give me a little more detail?? I looked all around and engine and couldn't see it...it's a 2000 Honda so maybe its under something?? (like air filter)
Old 08-08-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

yeah you'll have to pull the air box off to see it fully
Old 08-08-2017
Registered!!

Is this the IAC?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	111590  
Old 08-08-2017

IAC is part #2

Old 08-11-2017
Registered!!

Hello,
I'm trying to use as much light as possible but I can't see how I take the bottom half of the air filter off...I took the intake off and the air filter off and I can see the throttle bottle but for some reason I can't see where the bolts are to take off the rest of the air filter...

If someone can tell me or send another diagram I would really appreciate it. thank you in advance.
Old 08-11-2017
Registered!!

throttle bottle lol
body*
Old 08-11-2017

The picture you put in post #20 has one of the bolts circled.

Then there is a hose clamp securing the tube to the top of the throttle body. If you cannot feel it, use a mirror and flashlight to see it. IIRC it probably takes an 8mm socket to loosen it.
Old 08-11-2017
Registered!!

ok, thank you very much...is there a set number of bolts??

I'm going to work on it tomorrow morning...
Old 08-11-2017

is there a set number of bolts??
Sure. All of the bolts holding it on.

How many is that? IDK. I can't remember stuff like that. I'm doing good if I remember to wipe my azz and wash my hands in the right order.
I have to hunt for the bolts and remove what I find until it is free.
Old 08-12-2017
Registered!!

Help!
I can't figure out how to get this off
Old 08-12-2017

Did you loosen the clamp (large hose clamp) that secures it to the throttle body?

Will the box wiggle? If it's just the rubber around the opening in the bottom that's holding it down it takes a bit of effort to get it to come off. But you gotta loosen the clamp first.
Old 08-12-2017
Registered!!

Old 08-12-2017

At about 1:10 you stuck the light up against the firewall and lit up the back of the filter box and throttle body.....Stick your phone back there in about the same place (or a little lower) and take a pic under the box, maybe you will see the hose clamp that has to be loosened