Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil leak and Idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
definedmookis is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Oil leak and Idle issues

Hello,
First of all, thank you! for your patience with helping me with this issue.
Second, I've cleaned the throttle body and the IAC (and reattached it to the throttle body) I'm trying to put the whole unit back...and the bottom valve has a real hard time going back on (it was tough pulling it off) I'm using needle nose pliers and got it on the tip but that's it, it won't go further. I don't want to take off extra parts to get real access to it. Does anyone have any tips on how to get the bottom valve of the IAC back on?? I wired the throttle body back on first...should I unhook it??

Any input is appreciated...
Thank You
Old 08-15-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Can you post pics of what you are having trouble with?

On the IAC, make sure the rotating vane portion inside the valve assembly is free to rock back and forth.
Old 08-15-2017
Registered!!

The bottom valve is giving me a hard time...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1398.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	794.7 KB
ID:	111599   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1402.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	799.6 KB
ID:	111600   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1403.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	763.8 KB
ID:	111601  
Old 08-15-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is it the rubber hose for antifreeze?

Squeeze the spring clamp ears to make it loose enough to slide onto the fitting?

I really can't tell what part you are calling a "bottom valve".
Old 08-19-2017
Registered!!

There are two hoses into the IAC. A top and a bottom. The top hose had a little coolant come out...I cleaned it and stopped it from starting a drip.

What do you mean with saying "make it loose enough to slide onto the fitting"
I have it down enough to slide it on and off...the hose just won't go all the way on...its a tight space. Maybe I'm not using enough force to get it on...i'm wiggling it and just pushing it on but its not going. The clamp isn't in the way and it seems to be loose.

The hose (sorry for saying valve) seems too tight itself...maybe from the car sitting so long or not being changed in a long time?

Sorry for the confusion
Thank you for the help
Old 08-19-2017

If you removed the hose from the fitting and did not cut, shorten, or modify it, then it should go on the same way it came off.

Did you inadvertently swap the hoses? Is the other one too long now?
Old 08-19-2017
Registered!!

Ok thanks. I didn't do anything to the hose...Its a tight space to put it back on so I must not be getting a good enough grip on it to put it back on. (what I thought at first the problem was)

And no, I labeled the top hose so I wouldn't make that mistake.
Old 08-22-2017
Registered!!

Hello,
I took the throttle body off and the IAC off and cleaned them...connected them back together and when I was putting it back on one bolt wasn't the same size (didn't realize it when I took it off) and when I tried to put it back on that bolt (the shorter one) it wouldn't tighten...

Do I need new bolts?... or do I let it go with 3??

thanks for your help
Old 08-22-2017

I can't see it from here.....
Old 08-26-2017
Registered!!

Hello,
As I was taking off the throttle body...a little bit of coolant fell onto the throttle gasket...two different times. I cleaned it up immed. but I'm wondering if I still need to replace it?

As I work on the car later today I will take pictures of the throttle body bolts and post them.

Thank you.
Old 08-26-2017

Is the gasket damaged? If no damage, you may be able to reuse it.
Old 08-26-2017
Registered!!

It doesn't look damaged...I'll post that picture too
Old 08-26-2017

If you only spilled dribbles on the gasket that won't hurt anything, but if the gasket tore during disassembly that might be a problem depending on where the tear is.

If an open hose dumped a pint of antifreeze into the intake manifold, that would be a problem.