Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 Honda Civic ex wont start

Old 07-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steverkg is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 Honda Civic ex wont start

Hi I own a Honda civic ex 2000 4 cylinder sohc vtec sedan and about 5 months ago i took this car from Maryland to Colorado and back in 4 days with about 8-10 hours of continual driving I kept an eye on my temps and only over heated about 1 time in PA but it cooled and started again. by the time I got back to maryland my car would take forever to accelerate and rpms would go high when i hit the gas but no acceleration, it sounded like air was being compresed like the pistons just pushing air and making noise or the intake manifold?(Not sure). since working on the car it will not start up anymore but will try to, it acts like it wont get enough gas. In my intake manifold is a bunch of dirt what kinda looks to be oily. My catalytic converter is broken and may be clogged but when I dropped it to a straight pipe still the same outcome.

A couple mechanics I knew told me that something could be wrong with a timer but i font know what context he was speaking of.

I have replaced the coil pack, spark plugs, oil, oil filter, fuel pump. I have checked some obvious things like any leaks and tubing that is not connected.

attached is videos of the engine trying to turn and pictures of all fluids and parts of what i have done.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
attachments (1).zip (905.0 KB, 22 views)
attachments (2).zip (819.6 KB, 14 views)
attachments (3).zip (871.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 Honda Civic ex wont start

attached is videos
I only found about 12 pictures.

and only over heated about 1 time in PA but it cooled and started again
Does this mean it overheated, and you kept on driving it overheated until it shut down on its own?

Compression test?

Head gasket leak checks?
Old 07-17-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I only found about 12 pictures.

Does this mean it overheated, and you kept on driving it overheated until it shut down on its own?

Compression test?

Head gasket leak checks?
Some of the videos had errors when i uploaded them, heres another link if you trust it. https://www.mediafire.com/folder/phr...jjsqtbx/shared

Over heated then I let it cool down for a bout a hour or two, no smoke or any leaks.

My buddy is gonna bring by a kit tomorrow to check it out, I just started looking into these problems myself with little knowledge... and alot of arrogance.

All I have looked for is the milky liquid in the oil/oil cap.

Last edited by steverkg; 07-17-2017 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Formality
Old 07-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

All I have looked for is the milky liquid in the oil/oil cap.
You won't find it that way.
Give this a read: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html

Video 1 was awful short.
Video 2 sounds like the battery is too weak, needs charged up.
Same for vid 3.
Can't tell much other than that.
If the engine can't be cranked fast enough, it can flood out and won't start.
You need a good strong battery for the compression test too. Got a battery charger?

The plugs looked quite dark in the pics, were they wet with fuel when you pulled them out?
Old 07-18-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You won't find it that way.
Give this a read: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html

Video 1 was awful short.
Video 2 sounds like the battery is too weak, needs charged up.
Same for vid 3.
Can't tell much other than that.
If the engine can't be cranked fast enough, it can flood out and won't start.
You need a good strong battery for the compression test too. Got a battery charger?

The plugs looked quite dark in the pics, were they wet with fuel when you pulled them out?

I had a trickle charger on the night and had my mustang plugged to it when trying to start my battery has been "acting weird". Couldnt get compression done since im working outside and it was rainy today. There was no wet fuel it was kinda the same stuff that was in the intake manifold and was dry as a bone.

Search this Thread