Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need help finding a replacement header/downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
st00pkid is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Need help finding a replacement header/downpipe

I have a '97 automatic Honda civic ex, and recently the downpipe rusted out where it connects to the cat converter. I'm planning to replace the downpipe as well as the headers (because everything else after my cat have also been replaced so i'll have pretty much a fully redone exhaust system) but a lot of the options on amazon seem to not quite fit correctly. For example, a lot of people in the reviews for this one (
Amazon Amazon
) say that the o2 sensors don't fit and that the pipe falls a few inches short of actually reaching the cat.

Has anyone done a similar fix to this on specifically a 97 civic ex, that would know a system that would definitely fit? Also if anyone has any insight as to why some of these exhausts fit some models/years of civics but not other ones, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I can put pictures to what happened on my car below, as well as other products I'm looking at to replace with if that would help at all.

tl;dr: does anyone know a header/downpipe set that DEFINITELY fits an automatic civic ex from 1997? I'm not trying to shell the money out for these pipes only to find out that its not an exact fit.
Old 07-13-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Need help finding a replacement header/downpipe

-Go to honda buy a new one
-go to a scrap yard pick a used one
-get an aftermarket one from ebay/amazon.
-get a custom fabbed down pipe from an exhaust shop.
Old 07-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aarons98CivicLX is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need help finding a replacement header/downpipe

Hey - I actually have a different issue but I found a great replacement on 1aauto.com -- it was cheaper than the stuff on Amazon and it actually did fit. They have a video on their website where you can see a tech installing the exact same part.

I recall the only slight difference as to how you would connect it on the bottom that doesn't matter at all; I just left one little support arm unconnected to the engine and it works fine; all my CEL codes are clear and it no longer smells like gas, oxygen sensor is happy, etc.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help.

A