Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1997 Camshaft Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thergirl is an unknown quantity at this point
1997 Camshaft Sensor

I have a 97 civic. I bought this for my daughter to drive back and forth to work. While driving the other day, it started jerking and sputtering. The check engine light came on so I took it to auto zone. The code came up that it was the cam shaft sensor. I have someone that will work on it but he's never worked on a civic and is not sure how to do it. Can someone help me with instructions on how to do this? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1997 Camshaft Sensor

Got the actual code number in the usual "Pxxxx" format?
Old 07-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thergirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't. Auto Zone did not give me the paper work. I'll have to back and ask for it. My daughter and I are trying to figure this out without having to take it to a shop. But not having much luck.
Old 07-08-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

CKP/CYP/TDC are three different sensors that are inside the distributor, and there are at least 6 different fault codes that may be related to these sensors.
Knowing the specific code helps a lot.

Please note, aftermarket replacement distributors are usually crap.