Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

14 mm crush washer for Civic drain plug?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017
prr
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prr is an unknown quantity at this point
14 mm crush washer for Civic drain plug?

I have called my local honda dealer, as well as a local Napa, and they don't sell actual "crush" washers, only the aluminum kind. I used the real thing on another vehicle in my last oil change, and I didn't get any leaks, so I want to use them for my Civic as well.

Are these not made for the Civic? These are the type of thing that really aren't car specific, are they? If not, can I just walk into any car parts store and ask for a 14 mm crush washer? Or do I need to order them online from a honda parts store?
Old 07-05-2017
Registered!!

tommycarpenter is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 14 mm crush washer for Civic drain plug?

You can get a new oil plug and washer from Honda for 5 bucks... I change mine every oil change... if u don't have the money ill buy you one..
Old 07-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Rookies may have no clue what "crush washer" is.

Ask your dealer for the drain plug gasket (washer). There's like ONLY ONE for literally all of our engine oil drain plugs used over the last 2 or more decades.
It's soft aluminum, it crushes to form the seal when properly torqued.

14mm, Honda part # 94109-14000
Like 50 cents each.

Any halfway decent car parts store will carry a variety of drain plug gaskets, at least one of which will work. I usually keep several of the kind with an embedded rubber coating or ring, they will seal well at a very low torque and I use them when I find mutilated threads in the oil pan ---so I don't have to tighten the plug more than just enough it can't fall out.
Old 07-06-2017
prr
Registered!!

prr is an unknown quantity at this point

So the aluminum one is the actual crush washer? I thought there was supposed to be one that was rubber coated.

I still think I'll go with an aftermarket rubber one, though.... I'll just stop asking for one that is specifically fitted for my 98 civic. The first oil change without leaking oil--and I used a rubber coated one on another car I have, so I'll go with rubber coated for the civic, as well.

Ezone, thanks for clarifying this for me.

Originally Posted by ezone
Rookies may have no clue what "crush washer" is.

Ask your dealer for the drain plug gasket (washer). There's like ONLY ONE for literally all of our engine oil drain plugs used over the last 2 or more decades.
It's soft aluminum, it crushes to form the seal when properly torqued.

14mm, Honda part # 94109-14000
Like 50 cents each.

Any halfway decent car parts store will carry a variety of drain plug gaskets, at least one of which will work. I usually keep several of the kind with an embedded rubber coating or ring, they will seal well at a very low torque and I use them when I find mutilated threads in the oil pan ---so I don't have to tighten the plug more than just enough it can't fall out.
Old 07-06-2017
Registered!!

old97civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine is just a flat aluminum washer, as ezone says it's soft so it will conform to the shape of the plug and pan. I know you're supposed to use a different one every time but I've had the same one on my car for the past 12 years
Old 07-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prr
So the aluminum one is the actual crush washer?
Yes, it's very soft and if you torque it to spec (usually 29-33ish ft-lb) it WILL squash and seal. You should be able to FEEL the washer deform as you tighten the bolt.

If you don't tighten the bolt enough to crush the washer, it can leak.

I thought there was supposed to be one that was rubber coated.
Not available from Honda.

Sometimes it's good to see things other manufacturers use, and keep in mind other options are available.

I like the rubber coated style, they can and will seal at very low torque, it's gentle on iffy pan threads (until some kid at JizzyLube tries to hang from the wrench).

I've had the same one on my car for the past 12 years
Is it now squashed out to the diameter of a silver dollar? LOL
Old 07-07-2017
Registered!!

old97civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Is it now squashed out to the diameter of a silver dollar? LOL
Looks about the same to me
Old 07-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by prr
I have called my local honda dealer, as well as a local Napa, and they don't sell actual "crush" washers, only the aluminum kind

a crush washer IS aluminum,

they can be used over and over again,

if you cant find one your not looking hard enough,

as a last resort go to any parts store and buy a pack of 14mm nylon drain plug gaskets for a dollar,

you are way over thinking this,