Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Been a rough week ending with trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kmaroman is an unknown quantity at this point
Been a rough week ending with trans problem

So I daily an 98 hx 5 speed manual coupe that i got from my cousin who turned it into an si clone when he had it. Its only si in appearence its a clean car and i appreciate the mpgs lol. Anyways beginning monday i hit a raccoon and messed the passenger foglight and trim up. Then we got some ridiculous heavy rain and i had to back up in a steep driveway and that broke the front bumper lip. Now for the big problem, the trans will not shift into gear while running. I can put it in any gear while its off but when i push the clutch in its like clutch isnt seperating and the car moves when i try to start it. This started after the heavy rains, I drove my car through some water but i dont think it was anything deeper the 4-5ins at one point upon shifting into reverse i heard a loud boom like noise but that was it no issues at that point yet. Im decently mechanically inclined but dont know much about civics so looking some leads on what to do. I checked the clutch fluid and the oil to make sure the engine didnt have water in it. Clutch fluid has been on my list for a drain and refill but it was full. I'll have to wait till I get some friends over to get the car on stands and change the trans oil and clutch fluid as my garage is on an incline

Last edited by Kmaroman; 06-18-2017 at 04:04 AM.
Old 06-18-2017
Registered!!

Re: Been a rough week ending with trans problem

I had just discovered the trans issue a few hours ago as i had intended to fix the foglight and remove the broken lip. I hadnt drove the car since Wednesday because they were calling for more rain so i drove my truck the rest of the week.
Old 06-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

the trans will not shift into gear while running.
but when i push the clutch in
Critique: Pedal still feels normal, doesn't feel squishy or unusually low?
This started after the heavy rains, I drove my car through some water but

I hadnt drove the car since Wednesday
I wonder if the clutch disc has stuck to either the flywheel or the pressure plate due to rust.
Old 06-18-2017
Registered!!

The pedal feels fine I tried pumping it a few times as well, I had a similar thought but I don't know. I saw ebay has complete oem clutch kits with new flywheel pressure plate master& slave and of course the clutch too thinking about buying one of those kits for $200 and replacing it all.

Last edited by Kmaroman; 06-18-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'd start it up (IN GEAR) in a safe place, long enough road.... maybe in 2nd gear....let it pull itself along to about 2000 RPM or so....then with clutch pedal held down on the floor use the gas pedal to surge the engine several times to see if that will break the rust bond free.

Assuming it's just rust.
If it breaks free it might be fine.
But if rust caused problems in the first place, might be better off to replace the clutch set.
Make sure all of the covers are in place around the bottom of the flyheel/bellhousing.