Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Sway bar links, 96 Civic Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oneheadlight is an unknown quantity at this point
Sway bar links, 96 Civic Coupe

I've replaced the front sway bar links on my 96 Civic 2DR HX Coupe before but I am forgetting which was easier to do.
-Do I put the car on jackstands, remove old sway links, replace sway links, then let the car down onto ramps and torque the sway bar links to spec (under load)..
- Or can I put the front tires on the ramps and remove/replace/tighten the sway bar links that way?

I remember one of the methods the sway bar (which acts as a spring) is under A LOT of pressure and the bushing/link will go flying if I loosen it. I was thinking it might be the one where it's already under load. Probably asking the obvious but would like to know anyway..

Let me know.. I did search but it didn't say anything about loosening them while sitting on the tires (on ramps)..
Old 05-25-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Sway bar links, 96 Civic Coupe

You can install them

sprung: tire at driving level with suspension compressed

or

unsprung: jacked up with no weight.

...but for proper results sprung is best, especially if it is for serious driving.
Old 05-25-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
You can install them

sprung: tire at driving level with suspension compressed

or

unsprung: jacked up with no weight.

...but for proper results sprung is best, especially if it is for serious driving.
Thanks mac25 for the reply. No wonder I couldn't remember which was was ok, because both ways will work. I kept thinking that with the suspension compressed if I loosened the sway links, all the bushings were going to go flying! But looks like either method will work.

I was planning on putting them on with the suspension uncompressed, finger tighten then do the complete tightening/torquing when I got the suspension compressed (using ramps so I can get under there)..

but yeah compressed will make it sit properly.. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-26-2017

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

To take them out I think I went unsprung and to put them in I had suspension compressed.
Old 05-26-2017
Registered!!

To take them out I think I went unsprung and to put them in I had suspension compressed.
thanks again mac25 for the info! It does help a lot, now I know what the right method is. And I'll definitely tighten them with the suspension compressed. I think that's why these last ones died within 2 years since the mechanic who put them on did not compress/load the suspension when tightening them. It never did feel "planted" and these are the polyurethane bushings link! I'll post up what it's like when I've installed them next week..
Old 05-26-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,201 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

hub stands from flyin' miata are the cheapest (great for home alignments) but still expensive.

you could make steel plates with grease in between, and 4x4 to lift the car a little for clearance to torque them, though.

Name:  DSC01868%20-%20Copy_zpsuqfnd4ki.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  229.3 KB
Old 05-27-2017

Ohhh Sdaidoji those are sexyyyy!

When I did mine I had the car on jack stands then use a jack to put pressure on the control arms to force the wheels to ride height.
Old 06-13-2017
Registered!!

Smile Re: Sway bar links, 96 Civic Coupe

UPDATE:
for you mac25 and others.. Wanted to let you know that I did have the time to install the new poly (energy suspensions) front sway bar links. It was obvious that the previous tech installed the sway links while the suspension was unspung. I greased up the poly bushings, even though they're the graphite ones, ES said it wouldn't hurt. Installed everything and finger tightened it all down, got the suspension compressed/sprung and torqued it down. I jacked the car up and lowered it onto ramps to have enough room to get under there and torque things down. Used a torque wrench and the bushings are not squeezed at all!

They are now sitting almost vertically, like they should be and the sway bar link is horizontal between the bushings!

The handling is night and day different! Steering is tight, handling is smooth yet taut, it's actually 100% more enjoyable now!

Thanks again for the advice, mac25, it helped alot!