Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1999 Civic won't shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZDubyaKay is an unknown quantity at this point
1999 Civic won't shift out of park

Got my car back from the shop today, went home, car won't shift out of park. The button on the shifter goes in very slightly then stops. I was able to use the shift override to get out of park, but it's only a temporary solution. I looked through older threads to see if I could find the solution, but nothing came up concrete. Extra Info: The brake lights do turn on when the pedal is pressed, but I don't hear a clicking noise when the breaks turn on (apparently I was supposed to look for that, I don't know what it means). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-24-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1999 Civic won't shift out of park

What work was done at this shop?

Check TPS voltage, should be about 0.50v.
(or unplug the TPS to see you can then move shifter out of park)
If it's much higher (approx 0.60-0.70v) the ECM thinks the throttle is open and won't allow the shifter out of park.
Old 05-24-2017
Registered!!

Just brought it in for a tune up, and an oil change. Some valve was loose (don't remember what it was, new to cars) and oil had gotten into the spark plugs, so they cleared that out for me.
Old 05-24-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Check TPS voltage, should be about 0.50v.
Not entirely sure I have the know-how or equipment to do that, unfortunately. I'm very sorry.
Old 05-24-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

tune up, and an oil change. Some valve was loose (don't remember what it was,
Take it back to the shop, see if they missed something.....or it needs more work?

Unplug the TPS (throttle position sensor), then see if you can get the shifter out of park normally (key on but engine not running)

Old 05-24-2017
Registered!!

Thanks, I'll try that!