Advice - "Tune up or not to tune up" - Honda Civic Forum

Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2017   #1
Registered!!

TheBhoyJay is an unknown quantity at this point
Advice - "Tune up or not to tune up"

I am currently driving a 1999 Honda Civic SE - Manual 5 speed, with 330Km.

the car currently needs a complete clutch replacement and a major tune up and also has a P1457 engine code. I understand that is has to do with the EVAP system.

My question is: Do you think it is worth it to spend the money to repair or but that money into a newer car?
TheBhoyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017   #2
May contain disturbing content

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice - "Tune up or not to tune up"

Those are questions only you can answer.
Many people think a few hundred bucks for repairs every once in a while is far cheaper than a monthly car payment.
ezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017   #3
Registered!!

TheBhoyJay is an unknown quantity at this point

How many KM have you seen this car get too normally? I would make the repairs if I could get another 100K out the car... Not sure if I'm asking to much from her.
TheBhoyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017   #4
Super Moderator

Colin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of light

I've seen a couple hit 500,000 probably would've kept going if not for body rot
Colin42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017   #5
May contain disturbing content

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

In the land of salt and rust, you gotta mile them out before they rust away.

I see many various Hondas with 300-400k+ miles (google says that's 482-643k km) in various states of care or neglect that aren't all that old year-wise, and I see others that are old with very low miles that are rotting away as they sit.
ezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017   #6
pleasure spiked with pain

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

If you like the car I would fix it. Say you put $1000 into it. That's $83 a month in a year (can't beat that car payment)

If you want a new car and have the money, then don't fix it. I suggest getting another Honda :-)
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
civic 1999, tune up