Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car Cranks But Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ozwald25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Car Cranks But Will Not Start

Surely everyone here has seen enough of these "Cranks but no Start condition" but I truly am stumped. I got a 1999 Honda Civic 1.6L Auto that me and a friend are trying to fix. He was driving to college one day when the car suddenly died on him and would crank all day but has not started since. Anyways I went through and checked fuel pressure, checked main pump relay, checked for spark, and all have appeared to be good. I recently replaced the entire distributor to no luck. All spark plug wires are getting spark before and after installing the distributor. Also there is no engine code at all, I was considering maybe the cam and or crank sensor but those usually would throw a code. Timing belt was replaced in 2011 and ran perfectly fine since then, no issues whatsoever. This is his only car and he has been having to hitch rides to work and college, any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!
Old 05-11-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Car Cranks But Will Not Start

Originally Posted by Ozwald25
checked fuel pressure, checked main pump relay, checked for spark, and all have appeared to be good. I recently replaced the entire distributor to no luck. All spark plug wires are getting spark before and after installing the distributor.!
Check mechanical timing to ensure the timing belt didn't jump tooth/teeth. Spark plug firing oder correct?
Any possibility of gas flooding the cylinders..did you try starting the car with gas pedal pressed all the way down (WOT)?

Pull vacuum tube off of fthe fuel pressure regulator..any gas comimg out?..there shouldn't be.
Old 05-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ozwald25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Check mechanical timing to ensure the timing belt didn't jump tooth/teeth. Spark plug firing oder correct?
Any possibility of gas flooding the cylinders..did you try starting the car with gas pedal pressed all the way down (WOT)?

Pull vacuum tube off of fthe fuel pressure regulator..any gas comimg out?..there shouldn't be.
Well there could be a possibility of gas in the cylinders, you see, just after installing the distributor I smelled some fuel just after attempting to crank it. When we cranked it we pumped the gas pedal a couple times. I would have to check tomorrow for fuel in the vaccuum line off the FP Regulator, if there is gas in the cylinders and/or in that vaccuum tube what would I need to do? Could this also foul the spark plugs? As far as timing belt I am planning to check it last since it would be the most difficult out of the rest, reason being is that it was replaced in 2011 so I wouldnt assume it would already have slipped after 6 years.
Old 05-12-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

When we cranked it we pumped the gas pedal a couple times.
Put key in second position until CEL light turns off (allows time for fuel pump to prime). Immediately afterwards try starting it with gas pedal pushed to floor. This opens the throttle blade fully and allows more air to mix with gas in cylinders.

if there is gas in the cylinders and/or in that vaccuum tube what would I need to do?
There is supposed to be a regulated amount of gas in cylinder to produce combustion along with spark and air. Fuel injectors spray is close to a mist and sprays in V-pattern to cover the cylinder evenly. Too much or too little fuel in the cylinder is an issue and both can cause a crank no start.

Fuel coming out of the fuel pressure regulator (FPR)/vacuum hose means the FPR diaphragm is not working correctly. FPR function: http://www.nukeperformance.com/techn...regulator-faq/ I doubt this is the issue for your engine but, it's easy to check so I mentioned it.

Could this also foul the spark plugs?
Yes. Too much fuel in cylinder "rich condition" can produce black, wet soot on spark plug electrodes. Usually accompanied by balck smoke from tail pipe and black soot on tail pipe. Too little fuel in cylinder "lean condition" can produce white-ish, dry appearence on spark plugs.

As far as timing belt I am planning to check it last since it would be the most difficult out of the rest, reason being is that it was replaced in 2011 so I wouldnt assume it would already have slipped after 6 years.
Timing belt can slip anytime..not really asscociated with age. Pretty easy to check mechanical timing.