Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How's this engine sound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZachCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
How's this engine sound?

Any concerns? Girlfriend says it sounds different from the start of the work. I'm going to retard the ignition timing a bit within spec because we milled the head and she mentioned rattling. We're selling it, but I'm not trying to screw an unknowing buyer.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nm_GFp...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by ZachCivic; 04-28-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How's this engine sound?

Why is the timing cover off? Install that ASAP before it swallows something solid and wastes the engine.

Valve lash adjustments correct?
Exhaust leaks/manifold cracks/plugs not tight?

Injectors will always tick, you can't get rid of that.

Tell her to turn up the radio and keep the for sale sign in the window LOL
Old 04-28-2017
Registered!!

Valves should be good. There is a Crack in xhaust manifold and cylinder 4 spark is tight and in but may not be 100% in cuz it was seeming like it may strip. Timing cover was off to check on timing periodically (first timing belt replacement, gonna put it on soon).

You think the video sounds bad or just goin off the statement? Thanks again for the reply
Old 04-28-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ZachCivic
Valves should be good.
At what mileage is it now and at what mileage was the last valves adjustment performed? Valves tighten with usage. How-to and specs: http://www.civic-eg.com/causeforalarm/D16Y/index.php
Good time to do it with TB belt change and valve cover off.

There is a Crack in xhaust manifold
Pull a good one from junkyard and replace.

cylinder 4 spark is tight and in but may not be 100% in cuz it was seeming like it may strip.
Can you remove it? If it is strip it can be helicoiled
Old 04-28-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A cracked manifold will tick loud during acceleration and be quieter during deceleration, and may be worse while the manifold is cold.

There are special solid thread inserts available for use with spark plugs, not a coil type.
Old 04-28-2017
Registered!!

Valves were adjusted right after head gasket change about 50 miles ago. I'll readjust when I put timing cover back on. I can't find a manifold at a junkyard around here for less than $50. Gonna seal it up with some liquid steel. As far as the spark plug, I know the distance is important but those thread savers are like $35, so idk. I'll try to tighten but I can't really put more money into this thing
Old 04-28-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
There are special solid thread inserts available for use with spark plugs, not a coil type.
Okay. I see now.. looks similar to a time-sert insert: https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9871131/00139
Old 04-28-2017

I can't find a manifold at a junkyard around here for less than $50.
Is it an EX cat-back type or base model type?
Old 04-29-2017
Registered!!

It's a d16y7 on an LX.