Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Y8 ecu with a y7 engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
webbyj is an unknown quantity at this point
Y8 ecu with a y7 engine

So I spun the number 2 rod bearing in my y8. I didn't have the money to rebuild my y8. I ended up buying a used y7, just the engine. So i got it in and running using the y8 intake, fuel rail, injectors, and ecu. My problem is the y8 ecu looks for the input from the vtec. When it doesn't find it the y7 stumbles at 5500 rpms sometimes. Any ideas how to stop it from stumbling when it doesn't get input from the vtec pressure sensor? Like maybe putting the y8 head on the y7 block maybe?
Old 04-27-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Y8 ecu with a y7 engine

-y8 head swap should do the trick

I'm surprised it's not in limp mode with a VTEC error
Old 04-27-2017
Registered!!

Sorry my bad i should have mentioned it was in limp mode. That's why it stumbles at 5500 rpms. It acts like it's bouncing off the Rev limiter then shifts. U say the head swap should work...is that a definite it will work on the block just not sure if it'll cure the check engine light?
Old 04-27-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A working VTEC will make the ECM happy
Old 04-28-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webbyj
Sorry my bad i should have mentioned it was in limp mode. That's why it stumbles at 5500 rpms. It acts like it's bouncing off the Rev limiter then shifts. U say the head swap should work...is that a definite it will work on the block just not sure if it'll cure the check engine light?
I'm just used to limp mode limiting engine RPM to 4000. Thanks for the clarification

Originally Posted by ezone
A working VTEC will make the ECM happy
Old 04-28-2017
Registered!!

It might be 4000 when it stumbles. I honestly don't pay that close attention to the rpms. I thought I read somewhere the y8 head wouldn't work on the y7 block cause of needing an oil passage for the vtec or something. I just can't seem.to find where I read that though. Can anyone confirm that? I only have 1 shot at this because if i **** it up i dont have money for another engine. So i just wanna make 100% sure itll work before attempting it. I've only been into Honda for less then a year so forgive all the newbie questions please.
Old 04-28-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Definitely doable. It's called a mini me swap. Found some threads from other forums that may prove to be useful. If you'd like to write up a guide/experiences thread while you do it, that'd be awesome

Y7 to Y8 Mini Me Swap - ECU install Clarification - Parts Check List for Mini Me Swap
D.I.Y. Mini Me Swap (d16y8) - Source: civicforumz.com
Swapping Y7 head to Y8 head - Source: clubcivic.com
d16y7 block with y8 head? - Source: honda-tech.com
D16Y7 to Y8 Head Swap.... What I Need - Source: hondaswap.com