Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 civic speedo issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
velozp is an unknown quantity at this point
98 civic speedo issue

Hi Guys my 98 civic ex coupe automatic just turned 140,000 no issues up to this point. Before taking off , I noticed the speedometer was stuck at 20 MPH. I took off and it stayed their for about 15 minutes then bounced up to my correct speed at the time of 50MPH. When I got home, instead of it dropping down to Zero, it stayed at 20MPH. Next day same scenario. Any idea if this is cluster related or a speed sensor? Also no check engine lights are on.

Thank You!
Old 03-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 98 civic speedo issue

While it's stuck at 20 and you're sitting still, Beat your fist on the dash over the gauges, see if the needle drops.

Along the same lines, if you're going fast and the needle isn't climbing, beat on the dash again and see if it goes up.

Any fault codes? P0500 or similar?