Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 DX A/T misfires during idle and under load p1399 p300

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pcbell is an unknown quantity at this point
99 DX A/T misfires during idle and under load p1399 p300

99 Civic DX, A/T, 240,000 miles, bought it used about three years back as a runabout, haven't done much to it except to fix things that break.

Start 'er up. Will idle fine for about 8 seconds, will misfire for about 8 seconds, with blinking CEL, then will idle fine again. Cycle repeats indefinitely.

Pull out. Barely any power, goes from 0 to 20 in about 20 seconds while CEL continually blinks. Then there's a sudden surge in power, almost like a turbo kicked in. At that point it seems to run fine, once I've gotten up to speed... unless I hit a hill... now we're back to low power, and it can't maintain velocity.

This all gets gradually worse as the engine gets warmer. After 15 minutes of driving, it might have to reach 25 or 30 mph before the power suddenly returns to normal.

If I stop at a light after the engine is warm, the idle is very rough, shaking the car and feels like it's gonna stall, unless I shift into neutral, when it's still rough.

Engine codes: P1399, p300, p301, p302, p303, p304.

Local guys at Monro said it needed a new distributor. I popped one in, reset the ECU, it didn't help at all.

After extensive research, it seems like there could be about 20 different causes of this sort of thing... and most of the threads seem to just die without any resolution.

BUT... I'm hoping SOMEONE might have an intelligent guess based on the symptoms above, or might help me decide between the following options:

1.) Buy a used ECU, pop it in, see if that fixes it.
2.) Disconnect the TPS and see what happens, because it helped this one guy in this one thread with a kinda similar problem
3.) Take it back to Monro (they've done good work for me in the past and will diagnose for free, usually I pay them to do the fix but I was pressed for cash and the dizzy was pretty easy to install)
4.) Scrape up enough money to pay the dealer to diagnose it, since they have the best chance of figuring it out

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
Old 03-07-2016
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 99 DX A/T misfires during idle and under load p1399 p300

If Monro will diagnose for free and you like them, you might want to consider taking that route. How do your plugs look? Is it possible your timing is off? Fuel injectors dirty?
Old 03-07-2016
Registered!!

Thanks... all of those are possibilities... that's the frustrating thing about this issue, there are so many possibilities!

Possibly useful tidbit... if the car is cold, the weather is cold, and I turn it on and drive away immediately, it actually runs fine for the first 10-30 seconds... which, as I just discovered, is about how long the O2 sensor takes to warm up!

So... any ideas on
1.) Easy way to test the O2 sensor, and/or
2.) Easy way to disable the damn thing and see if it drives OK in that case?
Old 03-07-2016
Registered!!

So, I decided to simply unplug the connector to the upstream O2 sensor.

And... it made the problem worse.

So apparently the O2 sensor is trying to fight the good fight.

I guess I'll limp along for now, take it to Monro when I get paid, and hope for the best.
Old 03-15-2016
Registered!!

jhammermil2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would check your ignition timing.