Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 SI - starts when cold, dies, starts again after a few minutes

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sruger is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 SI - starts when cold, dies, starts again after a few minutes

All,
My SI is not fond of cold weather. The car is an outside car, and needs to be warmed up in order to get the frost off the windows and provide some comfort to me driving the kids to school.

It will initially start just fine, but die within a few minutes, if I try to restart it right after dying, it just cranks and cranks. It seems like there is a lack of fuel, or a timeout that happens. It will start again normally in a couple of minutes and either run fine, or die again repeating the process. the longer the car sits (like a weekend), the worse it gets.

It does have new fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor within the last 6 months. I have sprayed out the IAC Valve earlier in the spring (I had the same issue then, and think cleaning the valve helped but it got warmer and the problem went away).

My troubleshooting skill suck, and ask your advice on possible ECM, sensor or fuel pump remedies.

EDIT: Probably good to know the car is almost broken in at 265,000 miles, and it is safe to assume that most of the original parts are still on it Honda's Rock!
Thanks in advance,

Last edited by sruger; 11-15-2015 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Mileage of car
Old 11-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 SI - starts when cold, dies, starts again after a few minutes

Moved to 6th gen area.

Does it idle fast when cold or does it idle too slow?
Does it help if you keep your foot on the gas pedal to keep the RPM up a bit?
You say cleaned the IAC, did you scrape all the soot/carbon from the little filter screen?

Got CEL on? Any codes?
Pulled plugs after it dies to see if they are wet, or dry?
Old 11-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sruger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Moved to 6th gen area.

Does it idle fast when cold or does it idle too slow?
Does it help if you keep your foot on the gas pedal to keep the RPM up a bit?
You say cleaned the IAC, did you scrape all the soot/carbon from the little filter screen?

Got CEL on? Any codes?
Pulled plugs after it dies to see if they are wet, or dry?
It idles normally around 1300 rpm, then settles down to 800 rpms when it is warm. If i stayed in the car and rev it to 2000 rpms, i can sometimes feel the surge that would kill it without the exta gas. I did scrape the soot off the screen, and there are no CEL codes. Since I can get it started and it is fine after it warms up, I ave not pulled a plug.

Thanks,
Old 11-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If I had it I would probably want to read or snapshot live data on a scanner to see what the ECT value does, the front O2 sensor and fuel trims all do (and maybe more) during an 'event' just to see if I could gain any useful info.