Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Shut off and Start Issues 98' Civic

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Engine Shut off and Start Issues 98' Civic

And in other news:

Old 09-18-2015
Newb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deanaZoom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your help guys. I feel very confident that I can fix this car soon without spending a bagillion bucks. Mech #3 only charged me 60$ bucks today and told me none of the parts tested as defective and that the tach being sporatic is something electrical in his opinion. He kept saying you can't test relay and coil and other parts. He was definitely being lazy. He did say some parts were aftermarket on distributor and that the wires were OEM.
Mech #2 put me on the waiting list and I'm certain it will get solved.
The car ran perfectly today haha. I just wish it would fail so It can be easier to diagnose!
Old 09-18-2015
Registered!!

oneheadlight is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deanaZoom
Thanks for all your help guys. I feel very confident that I can fix this car soon without spending a bagillion bucks. Mech #3 only charged me 60$ bucks today and told me none of the parts tested as defective and that the tach being sporatic is something electrical in his opinion. He kept saying you can't test relay and coil and other parts. He was definitely being lazy. He did say some parts were aftermarket on distributor and that the wires were OEM.
Mech #2 put me on the waiting list and I'm certain it will get solved.
The car ran perfectly today haha. I just wish it would fail so It can be easier to diagnose!
Glad you got away cheap, but got away from mechanic #3! And you're welcome for the help! I'm glad that you were able to go in there armed with the REAL knowledge that the parts CAN be tested. Then you see #3 tell you that no you can't test the parts.. I bet you were just laughing on the inside, since you have the pages from the service manual, that clearly show how to test it. I think that's what you were looking for when you came to the forums, was the ability to know for yourself. Finally you do have the upper hand! very cool.

Yeah something electrical is always intermittent, the nature of an electrical component going bad, sporadic performance. Always a moment where it behaves.. It's also ironic in the sense that now you know how to test it, the symptoms disappear. It's like the parts that are bad are saying "oh no.. I'll behave.. see? I'm working fine".. That always happens when repairing a car! Well soon enough defective part, we will find you! lol

Oh and the "aftermarket" parts on the distributor are probably the cap and rotor. But.. I'm happy for you that things are going to get tested/fixed soon! Keep us posted to what you find it really is.. Helps us all to know.

Last edited by oneheadlight; 09-18-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-18-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

the REAL knowledge
.....would be understanding that as long as everything is working it will most likely test "good".

sporadic performance. Always a moment where it behaves.. It's also ironic in the sense that now you know how to test it, the symptoms disappear. It's like the parts that are bad are saying "oh no.. I'll behave.. see? I'm working fine".. That always happens when repairing a car! Well soon enough defective part, we will find you! lol
Gotta get it to act up or quit completely in order to figure out what's wrong.
Old 09-19-2015
Registered!!

old97civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
We aren't psychic.
It has to be broken before anyone will figure out what's wrong.
What? You mean you can't diagnose the car's problems simply by placing your hand on the hood and mindmelding with it?
Old 09-19-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old97civic
What? You mean you can't diagnose the car's problems simply by placing your hand on the hood and mindmelding with it?
I like doing stuff like this in front of customers.

Working with a single car line definitely has its advantages.