Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

No power to Oxygen sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hrddrvs is an unknown quantity at this point
No power to Oxygen sensor

I just got a 1998 civic dx and the engine light was on when I got it for a really good price.I have codes p1297,p1298,p0135,p1167,p1166,p0141,p0508,p0501.I have a feeling they're all related somehow.Does any body have an idea why the O2 sensor has no power to the sensor itself?Is there a fuse that could be the problem?I know about the wire next to the manifold bracket and it looks fine.Someone put a lot of money into this car and I think could'nt figure out the problem.Could it be the electric load detector entirely causing this?Could an aftermarket stereo cause this?Please help,I need to fix this ASAP.Thanks.
Old 04-06-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: No power to Oxygen sensor

You have listed some codes that are not part of the usual group.

Check underdash fusebox fuse #15,
If it's blown, the common cause is wires chafing on an intake manifold bracket....The fuse that feeds power to VSS, ELD, both O2 sensors, alternator, and more.

How did you find out about the wire chafing but didn't get the info about the fuse blowing?

Bulletin PDF link: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...%2315_fuse.pdf
Old 04-07-2015
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply.I will check that fuse.I found the info of the wire chaffing on this site but I did'nt know about the fuse blowing.It seems obvious now.I will check that out when it stops raining.I dont look forward to getting to the wire in that tight spot and fixing it.Any advice on a good way to go about it would be appreciated.I also need a map of the interior fuse box.The cover is gone on mine.Do you mean a 15 fuse or #15 fuse on the fuse box cover?Thanks.
Old 04-07-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice on a good way to go about it
Not really, just follow the bulletin if that's the problem.

Do you mean a 15 fuse or #15 fuse on the fuse box cover?Thanks.
Position 15, the box I believe may be labeled if you look real close. IDK what the amps on the fuse are. (EDIT 7.5a in the image)

Goggle Image Search:

Name:  7MELM.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  61.6 KB

Old 04-07-2015
Registered!!

I seriously appreciate the reply and pic.I figured out my #15 fuse was toast and I replaced it.I reset the ecu and and all the codes disappeared and have'nt come back even after a long test drive.Before,the check light would come on 10 seconds after starting but not anymore.My speedometer still does'nt work so I'll look into that.When the key is in the off position the speedo reads zero.When I turn the key to start it then reads 20mph.If the dash speedo was bad would it do that?I have the feling that it is the vss and think the dash MPH would'nt read anything if it were bad but I'm not sure.Any advice or input is truly appreciated.Thanks.
Old 04-08-2015

When the key is in the off position the speedo reads zero.When I turn the key to start it then reads 20mph.If the dash speedo was bad would it do that?
Yes.
Old 04-08-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Yes.
Thanks for the reply.I just want to make sure you meant that the actual speedometer could be at fault and possibly not the speed sensor.
Old 04-08-2015

Turn your key on so the speedo reads 20.
Unplug the VSS and see if the needle drops to zero.
I think it will stay at 20.

A speed sensor (VSS) fail shouldn't make the speedo read 20 when you turn the key on.

A speedo failure, a circuit board failure, or something along those lines would.
Old 04-08-2015
Registered!!

Thanks ezone,that makes total sense.I will do as suggested and post my results.If it is the speedometer,is that a PITA to replace?
Old 04-09-2015

Originally Posted by Hrddrvs
Thanks ezone,that makes total sense.I will do as suggested and post my results.If it is the speedometer,is that a PITA to replace?
Not to me, that's clean work.
Old 04-11-2015
Registered!!

Well,I detached the VSS and it did the same thing.I reattached the VSS and now the speedometer works again.It was probably a bad connection.I appreciate this forum and all replies with advice.I look forward to years of service from my civic.