Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Installed a car amp, now engine turns but doesn't start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bleeper4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Installed a car amp, now engine turns but doesn't start.

Hey guys, been lurking around for a while but never signed up to the forums.

I just installed a simple 600W amp for a sub this weekend, and followed every step to the T: wired the power cable with a fuse, ran the cable through a rubber seal in the firewall, etc. Finished the job today and went to start my car, but all it does it turn for days and never start.

I'm pretty certain it's not the battery because 1) I never actually see the amp turn on (a problem for later, probably has to do with the remote wire), 2) all electronics run fine, including the starter, and 3) I tried starting the car with another car jumpered to my battery and it still doesn't start. All it does and turn and turn (and it turns well). I've never had a problem starting within a few cranks before.

The only thing that I did that was sketchy was that I used a knife to poke the hole through the rubber seal in the firewall, to run my power cable. The rubber seal is at the feet of the passenger's side under the dash, and holds what looks like the majority of signal wires going through the firewall. I cut about 1/2" away from all the wires, so I thought I didn't touch them, but my only hypothesis right now is that I cut some wire that makes sure the engine is turning and lets the car start.

I'm asking you guys more knowledgeable with the starting signals of the Civic: is this possible? For a broken wire to let the starter crank the engine but never let it fully start? Or am I on the wrong track? Thanks in advance. I'd hate to have to spend $$ to get this thing towed and looked at at a shop. This was supposed to be a cheap ($75) investment!
Old 02-08-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Installed a car amp, now engine turns but doesn't start.

I'd check the main fuses under the hood you probably blew one (80 amp) I think is the main one. Should check both under the hood and drivers side before looking anywhere else though.
Old 02-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bleeper4 is an unknown quantity at this point

You were right! Blew the ECU fuse. Not sure how but at least my car starts now! Feelin kinda dumb but not as dumb as if I got it towed and laughed at by the mechanics. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Did you disconnect the battery before wiring up the amp? If not, that's how you blew it.