Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skhan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Overheating problem

Hi. I have a 1997 civic lx. I just got the rear main seal fixed along with the belts and waterpump. Now whenever I drive it for a while, it starts overheating. I noticed that when that happens the overflow radiator compartment is full of coolant(water) even more than i filled. It appears as if the coolant from the radiator came into the overflow tank too and didn't circulate back. If i let the car cool down for an hour or so, the coolant level decreases in the overflow tank. Once I even heard a gurgling noise when that happened
Its not leaking out of the car though.
Could anyone help me figure put what the problem might be before I take the car to the mechanic? Anxiously awaiting your replies. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Overheating problem

your head gasket is blown, you need to have it replaced
Old 06-05-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
your head gasket is blown, you need to have it replaced
Is that completely unequivocal? If yes, shall i just go buy a new one and pay a mechanic to replace it? Or are there other things that might result in the same symptoms my car is showing ?
Thx
Old 06-06-2014
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

your problem is very common,

do a search on this forum for "overheating" issues, you will see many members having the exact same problem you are, and the common result was a blown head gasket, this is definitely not an isolated case

Last edited by mikey1; 06-06-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-07-2014
Registered!!

So I took the car to the mechanic today. His initial diagnosis was that I might have blown the gasket. However after connecting an instrument to measure the pressure in the radiator(he replaced the radiator cap with another steel cap that had a pressure gauge attached to it), he reached the conclusion that there was nothing wrong and it might have just been air. The car hasn't overheated since then.
Bad news is, when I drive the car for more than 15 mins and check the coolant reservior, it's completely full up to the brim. Moreover the coolant is muddy(chocolate brown) and fuzzy (some bubbles) and the car seems to be driving heavy and shifting late (it's an automatic). I feel like the mechanic might have under diagnosed and it's a matter of time before whatever is partially functional (e.g gasket) will stop working altogether.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thx
Old 06-07-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by skhan
when I drive the car for more than 15 mins and check the coolant reservior, it's completely full up to the brim.
= blown head gasket

i stand by my previous comments
Old 06-08-2014
Registered!!

Oh ok. Also I noticed today that when a friend was reversing my car for me, the smoke coming out from the back was white like cigarette smoke. I am taking the car back to the mechanic tomorrow
Old 06-20-2014
Registered!!

Today, after a couple of weeks of my 1st post and multiple visits to the mechanic, he diagnosed a blown head gasket (Props to Mikey).
Will be getting it replaced shortly. Thx for all the help and advice.

P.S: How much should a good price be to get it replaced ?
Old 06-20-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by skhan

P.S: How much should a good price be to get it replaced ?
depends on many different factors, and the cheapest is very seldom "the best"

also.....depending on your vehicles maintanance history and mileage, you might want to consider replacing a few other parts at the same time while they have it ripped apart,

timing belt, timing belt tensioner, water pump, thermostat just to name a few

make sure the mechanic you take it to is competent doing this type of work, there are many posts on this site about botched timing belt and head gasket jobs done at independant shops,

its not worth risking this just to save a few dollars, compare many prices to the honda dealers price, also ask what type of warranty they offer with their work, and get it in writing!

also, make sure they send the head to a machine shop to see if its warped, if the engine overheated this is a good possibility and you will need a new head along with the gasket,

if they install a warped head onto a new head gasket, you are going to end up with the same problem you have now!

Last edited by mikey1; 06-20-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-20-2014
Registered!!

Will do. Probably taking the car to the mechanic over the weekend. Might bother you if I have other queries. Thx again