Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Broken car!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MEDEVAC MAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Broken car!

Howdy. I'm the proud owner of a 2000 Honda Civic SIR. As most of you probably know this car has a 1.6 L four-cylinder five-speed engine with a double overhead cam, and it's a VTEC. I'm not sure what it's technical designation is, but it's been a good engine for me so far. I currently have 307,000 km on this car. As per my name, I fly medevac's in northern Alberta, so that leads to a long commute, when I decide to go to the big city. My last trip to Calgary a few days ago, I found on the way down that I had burned some excess fuel. For a while now, My car has been going through a fair amount of oil. All I have ever used in this car is 5W-30. Full synthetic When in Calgary, I checked the tires pressures. They were good. I check the air filter, it was clean. I changed out the spark plugs, and there was no evidence of blow by, with only light gray ash on the plugs. They looked normal. On my return north, the last leg from Slave Lake to Fort Vermilion, I got only 385 km on my last tank of gas. Just barely made it home without refilling. I also discovered on this leg that when I exceeded 5500 RPMs, and my VTEC cut in, the engine bogged. If I gave it gas in VTEC mode, I actually lost power, and the engine bogged. On the advice of the guy who usually services my car, I am replacing the coil, and rotor, and upgrading my spark plug wires. He reasoned, that my car may not be producing the proper spark, thus leaving the fuel/air mixture in the cylinder very rich, and that this may be thinning the oil, therefore causing it to be consumed in the cylinder. My car is not smoking, and I have refilled the oil to its proper level, so I know there's enough hydraulic pressure to actuate the VTEC. I apologize for the lengthy tirade, without a proper introduction of myself, but I am desperate to fix this car, and I would love to benefit from the knowledge of you more experienced Honda owners on this website. I am open to direct emails at the email address below. [ bluerooster123@hotmail.com] Any input whatsoever, would be greatly valued, and I appreciate all of your insight and help. Thanks so much, in advance. MEDEVAC MAN.
Old 02-05-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Broken car!

exceeded 5500 RPMs, and my VTEC cut in, the engine bogged. If I gave it gas in VTEC mode, I actually lost power, and the engine bogged.
Check exhaust backpressure first.... Probably a clogged cat.

Welcome to the forums!