Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need Advice Pls. Honda Civic Coupe 97, Automatic. Cannot drive starting in D4, or D3.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vivavegas99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need Advice Pls. Honda Civic Coupe 97, Automatic. Cannot drive starting in D4, or D3.

Hi!!!

Seriously! I will pay someone to help me figure out this problem. First off.. Bought this Honda Civic DX Coupe Automatic 1997.. @ an auction.
The car will not drive starting out in D4 or D3. You must start in "2" then once you get going and excel.. you can move it into D3, or D4 and it seems to drive fine. If I start out in D4, or D3...it just revs up and goes hardly anywhere.

SO! I've done some research. However, let me also tell you a couple of things. The odometer does not work. It is stuck on 152,400 about that. And yet the speedometer works fine. I did the OBD. Two codes came up. One was 700 which I heard is standard and then other is 715. I was told from a friend to change the speed sensor on it. I was so damn excited. bc I found the part on eBay the exact part for only $15 free shipping. Switched it and nope! No changes!

I then took it to a mechanic. They are very trustworthy and honest believe it or not. They did the check but they had a more sophistated scanner. So! They think it is. as the 715 comes up..They think it is a Mainshaft Speed Sensor. AKA Input/Turbine Speed Series A. And I am honestly hoping and praying that it IS that but then a guy on eBay said NO WAY and he said he knows his stuff and said it was something else.. T something. I am waiting to hear back from him on the exact term for the part. I WILL be back to post it.

There was a thread I read and that Honda.. knows of this problem and if you are car is under so many miles and not over..a certain amount of years they will take care of it. Hmm Not sure that kinda sounds too good to be true.

A process of elimination.. gets costly..meaning trying this and then trying that.. and I hope and I pray I don't need a rebuild on the trans. It just would not be worth it.. at all! The car I got at a good price. Prob. for a reason huh!

Please. anyone .. if you know what the prob is.. or you've had the same prob. please contact me as soon as you can. My last car was a 98 honda civic I had it for years and then the reverse didn't work. and it had been on its last leg for many months and I was always out there..heels and all.. pushing my car to get out of parking spots.. it was crazy and so i put that car to rest and got $1,500 at a recyle auto-center. Bc it wouldnt even pass smog.. and it was a nightmare.tickets and car jail.. and etc.

SO! Please .. if you know what it is. .. if you could please help me out. I will try to do something nice for you in return. I mean it.

I appreciate all the help and advice I can get.

Thanks a Mil!

Sincerely,

Laura
Old 01-16-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need Advice Pls. Honda Civic Coupe 97, Automatic. Cannot drive starting in D4, or

You bought a used car, you now own it and all the problems associated with it.
A prepurchase inspection could have saved you grief, but I know most auctions won't let you do much to inspect a car.
It's a gamble.... Hope you got it dirt cheap.

A car at auction is there for a reason. There is always a reason.
I personally get a kick out of doing an inspection and figuring out the real (likely) reason why a car went to auction.
It's like a Sherlock Holmes mystery......or maybe Agatha Christie.

P0700 is a sort of ''marker" code stored in the engine controller that tells a tech there are other transmission related codes stored that need investigated in the transmission controller. (This has more to do with how the factory scantool reads codes from individual control units or separate processors within a single unit.)

The definition for P0715 is "a problem in the mainshaft speed sensor". It doesn't tell what the problem is, and there are a number of possible problems that could cause it.

There are a few tests that can be done, namely checking resistance of the sensor (400-600 ohms), and testing the wiring from the sensor to the computer. (Maybe checking the sensor output waveform with a labscope....)

Here is a link to the only Honda bulletin I found that mentions the code
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x00-012e.pdf

No, not warranty.
Old 01-16-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Need Advice Pls. Honda Civic Coupe 97, Automatic. Cannot drive starting in D4, or

I assume you have checked the fluid level and added/changed as necessary. Probably not your main problem but low fluid can cause many issues.