Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1997 Honda Civic manual steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CJ97civic is an unknown quantity at this point
1997 Honda Civic manual steering

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, new to the forum. But anyway, I picked up a civic a couple months ago for cheap and its been nothing but downhill from there.
Long story short It's got a b20 swap and the dude did a shitty job. And I'm just trying to make it right, cause it's got potential. So I took it to get a state inspection (VA) today and of course it failed. But the only thing on the list the I know nothing about is the steering rack. On the receipt it says "POWER STEERING PUMP IS MISSING - WILL NEED TO REPLACE WITH A MANUAL RACK IF POWER STEERING PARTS ARE NOT REPLACED" . I mean I already knew it didn't have power steering but I was not expecting it to fail me. So which would be the best route, trying to replace the parts or putting a manual rack in. If the manual rack is the best way like i'm suspecting where do I get one, can I swap one in off something from the junk yard or where can I find one for cheap.
So thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-28-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 1997 Honda Civic manual steering

i would start by contacting hasport - they might know.

http://hasport.com/store/index.php/a.../brackets.html
Old 12-28-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Wow VA is tough.

Good luck with getting it straight. Always a risk when buying a modded car but worth it if you can get it straight relatively easy/cheaply.
Old 12-28-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

ah, yeah, there were manual steering available for the generation -> you will need to find a DX coupe manual trans in a scrap yard or buy new from a dealer (not sure if available at this point) if you decide to go the manual steering:
"Steering
Rack & Pinion
Power Assist (EX, LX, DX Sedan, DX Coupe w/ Auto transmission) Manual (DX Coupe w/Manual transmission) "

source:
http://6thgenerationcivic.webs.com/usdmspecs.htm