Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AutoTrans Issue 1998 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shytown is an unknown quantity at this point
AutoTrans Issue 1998 Civic EX

Hello- new to the Forum,

1998 Civic ex 4 door-
ok shifting seems ok- floored it early on and it did chirp into second that was a first clue there is something wrong-
Now i baby it for longevity- but the most common problem is most noticeable in third and especially 4th gear - it holds RPM good- no slipping- doesnt raise Rpm when shifting to next gear as i have seen through Utube, but when going up hills and it needs more torque it raises rpm approx. 500 rpm's to give it the power/torque it needs to make the hill but then after cresting the hill is falls back down and settles at 500 rpm less and when doing so the motor/transmission has this effect of movement- kind of like there may be a broken motor mount or something.
I could get Video if you all think it is needed- just wasn't sure coming in if this is a typical issue or ?
Old 11-10-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shytown is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: AutoTrans Issue 1998 Civic EX

after reviewing the owners manual- it stated that the torque converter locks in after xxx rpms and settles in and drops rpm, or something to that effect. I would have surely thought that SOMEONE on the Civic forums could have explained that in the last 24 hours!
Makes me love my chevy all that much more- although if it got 37 mpg i wouldnt have bought this Jap crap!