Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

auto tranny fluid change on 95 and 95 civic

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
velozp is an unknown quantity at this point
auto tranny fluid change on 95 and 95 civic

Hi guys I want to change the auto tranny fluid on both my sons 95 LX and my 98 EX. My 98 has 61K and my sons has 100K. I did go to honda and bought the tranny fluid ( approx 2.8-3qts per car and I got 2 new washers) but the filler flug as what I see and hear is a 3/8 ratchet. Any info on this ?Should I get a hardened strength tip ratchet extender? And Ive heard of guys dropping the fluid, driving 1 month and doing it again. Any advice is appeciated.
Old 10-19-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: auto tranny fluid change on 95 and 95 civic

The drain plug takes a 3/8" square drive, same as a 3/8 drive ratchet.

Instead of a ratchet, I use a long handle breaker bar--- with a short (or long) 3/8 drive extension of high quality.
(Even better if you have an actual 3/8 square bit since ratchets and extensions have that ball and spring in the end, they can twist the tip right off at that point.)

It usually takes a lot of torque to break the plug loose, a cheapo tool might break. I have even damaged a Snap-On ratchet in the past.

Change fluid as often as you want. You can't drain it all in one sitting, the trans holds around 8 quarts and you can only drain a bit less than 3 at any time.
Old 10-19-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

This says it's from a CRV, but the plug is the same.

Old 10-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
velozp is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks ezone you have always helped me out in middleboro mass