Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

NO Crank No Start..2000 Civic (2dr) EX manual.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mobius624 is an unknown quantity at this point
NO Crank No Start..2000 Civic (2dr) EX manual.

Hey guys I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX 2 door manual with 102k miles that I bought new in 1999. I have had no problems with the car until 3 days ago. When I parked it I accidently left keys in it(while off) and when i came out the next day I could not start it.

I thought I left the lights on or maybe drained the battery, SO i threw a trickle charge on it and tried again. Nothing happened, So I spent the day taking out the starter and getting a new battery(was time for a battery anyway) and the starter tested ok at adv auto parts test machine and battery is brand new.

I put everything back together and tried to crank again and nothing. Same as before..all the lights in dash light up and I can hear the fuel pump engage but when I turn the Key..no sounds/ or clicks. I then thought it might be the relay switch but as far as I can tell All fuses under the hood are good. I can feel the fuse connect then turned to start but engine does not do anything. I then checked the clucth switch in the car under the dash and it seemed to be functioning.

I have push started the car and I can get it to run, but i cannot figure out why Key wont let it start. I am not a mechanic. So when responding to this don't use fancy car guy words./..hehe thanks
Old 09-19-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NO Crank No Start..2000 Civic (2dr) EX manual.

no sounds/ or clicks.
Is there some small pieces of crumbled rubber on the floor under the pedals?

See if the rubber bumper pad came off of the clutch pedal where the starter interlock switch meets it.

Not from your car but I found a pic with the general idea, see the red arrow for "switch A":
Name:  picture_5078.jpg
Views: 5771
Size:  75.7 KB

HTH
Old 09-20-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Is there some small pieces of crumbled rubber on the floor under the pedals?

See if the rubber bumper pad came off of the clutch pedal where the starter interlock switch meets it.

Not from your car but I found a pic with the general idea, see the red arrow for "switch A":

HTH
the rubber piece is still intact. and i removed the switch to make sure i was able to depress it manually....everything seems to be ok
Old 09-20-2013
Registered!!

we have tested the starter relay looks good and interlock switch i phyically removed it to test with meter and it is working..the rubber stopper is intact too..i am out of ideas on what to test. i really dont want to take to a mechanic so he can charge me arm and leg..any other ideas?
Old 09-20-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Test light or voltmeter, a wiring diagram, and some electrical logic are what you need. Nothing spectacular here, it's simple switches and a relay.
Test everything live on the car to see what has juice and where in the circuit it stops.

Power has to get from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid, and it goes through the relay and stuff before it gets there.

I think this covers a 2000

HTH