Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 Civic Knock Sensor issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Felixbot is an unknown quantity at this point
97 Civic Knock Sensor issues

I bought a `97 Civic for my daughter`s first car. The engine block had previously been replaced with a block with no knock sensor. I am trying to get the mil light turned off. I added a knock sensor and found the harness plug to connect it. I cleaned the plug and connected it but i am still getting the knock sensor code and the mil is coming back on. I did clear the code after installation but it came on almost immediately. I have been told there is a way to fool the ecu to think the knock sensor is ok but i am not sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Old 09-08-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 97 Civic Knock Sensor issues

Is the knock sensor just dangling in space?

Is there a hole on the block where the knock sensor should be?
Old 09-14-2013
Registered!!

The sensor is installed in the proper place in the engine (near the oil filter)
Old 09-14-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a D16Y8 engine? Just trying to see if I have the right wiring diagram here.

(near the oil filter)
The oil pressure switch is "near" the oil filter.
KS is up higher, like just under the intake manifold (if this pic is right). Are you sure you have the correct wire connected to the correct sensor?

Knock Sensor is circled:

If that's all good, then.....

Check the wire between the knock sensor and the PCM. Measure for continuity from end to end, then make sure there is no continuity between the wire and ground (no short to ground).

The only other steps in the trouble chart (after inspecting the wiring) are swapping in a known good knock sensor, then trying a known good PCM.

Can you maybe compare ohm readings of the two knock sensors? (I don't see any spec for this though, not sure if this would even be a valid test.)

You didn't use any thread sealer on the KS threads, did you? That might electrically insulate the sensor from engine ground.

Here's info the service manual says:
If the signal from the knock sensor does not vary for a set
time period, the PCM detects a malfunction and stores a code.

The time period stated is only 5 seconds, so I assume that the PCM is always looking for signal from the KS during any time the engine is running, not just when the engine makes spark knock noises.
.....So based on this, I kind of think that trying to fool the computer with a fixed resistor is out of the question.

Last edited by ezone; 09-14-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2013

Better pic, this was labeled D16Y8.

KS goes in #1, oil pressure switch is #2

Name:  civichelp.jpg
Views: 25528
Size:  132.9 KB
Old 09-19-2013
Registered!!

The knock sensor is mounted in the upper hole, no thread sealer, and it was a new sensor. I looked for a used one at the pick n pull, didn`t find any in 6 different cars. Was this not installed in all cars?
Old 09-19-2013
Registered!!

I am not sure what engine is in the car. How do I find out which one I have? ( i know it has been replaced)
Old 09-19-2013

Originally Posted by Felixbot
I am not sure what engine is in the car. How do I find out which one I have? ( i know it has been replaced)
Find the engine code here

It will be something like this

Old 09-19-2013

Originally Posted by Felixbot
The knock sensor is mounted in the upper hole, no thread sealer, and it was a new sensor. I looked for a used one at the pick n pull, didn`t find any in 6 different cars. Was this not installed in all cars?
I believe that is correct.

USA catalog shows these versions use a knock sensor: EX (4 door), EX and HX (2 door), and none in hatchbacks.
Old 01-23-2018
Registered!!

jennymalone36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
I believe that is correct.

USA catalog shows these versions use a knock sensor: EX (4 door), EX and HX (2 door), and none in hatchbacks.
. Ok I’m thinking on buying a 1997 Honda Civic Ex for 400 bucks. Maybe trading a iPhone 7 plus with Otterbox for it. Has a title runs he said but he got a code of some sort which was a PO325. He said it meant bad Knocking Sensor. My questions are 1. If it’s not the KS what else could it be? I researched it it’s not expensive part but pain in *** to get to? But if he were just saying telling me this to get me to buy the car? What would’ve my worst case scenario as far as what else could cause same symptoms but more expensive to replace or Evan replaceable? Any advice or info anyone can give me as to if I should check for specifics when my husband goes to look drive etc the car? Also is their a way to bypass the KS? Thanks
Old 01-23-2018

Originally Posted by jennymalone36
. Ok I’m thinking on buying a 1997 Honda Civic Ex for 400 bucks. Maybe trading a iPhone 7 plus with Otterbox for it. Has a title runs he said but he got a code of some sort which was a PO325. He said it meant bad Knocking Sensor. My questions are 1. If it’s not the KS what else could it be? I researched it it’s not expensive part but pain in *** to get to? But if he were just saying telling me this to get me to buy the car? What would’ve my worst case scenario as far as what else could cause same symptoms but more expensive to replace or Evan replaceable? Any advice or info anyone can give me as to if I should check for specifics when my husband goes to look drive etc the car? Also is their a way to bypass the KS? Thanks
Take a code reader and read the codes for yourself, or test drive it to the local Autozone or similar parts store and have the code read for free

Sensor, wiring, or computer.

$400 is awful cheap...I'd expect a lot of disasters ahead for that price.