Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

PCV Grommet/Breather Chamber Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tmv2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
PCV Grommet/Breather Chamber Question

So I was replacing the PCV Valve and grommet yesterday, and, like many posts here and elsewhere have described, the grommet broke because it was so old. Basically the outer ring of the grommet was hard, and as I was trying to pry it out, it fell into the breather chamber.

I referenced this post
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ue-broken.html

But my issue is that the grommet didn't break into smaller pieces. Only the outer ring broke, so basically the entire grommet is sitting in the breather chamber, now.

Can anyone tell me what CAN happen if the grommet isn't removed? I don't necessarily worry that it'll be sucked into the engine because it's too big of a piece to pass through anything. Could this prevent enough oil from reaching the engine?

And finally, the only way I know to fix this is to remove the Breather Chamber, as was mentioned in the previous post, but when I look at this diagram,

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...HAMBER+%281%29

It seems like even if I can get the Breather Chamber off, I might not be able to get it apart. Does anyone know how the BC comes apart, so that I can access the part?

I should mention that I drove the car 130 miles after installing the new grommet and valve yesterday, and the car performed really well. Is it only a matter of time before this issue creeps up, or is it something that might never cause an issue at all?
Old 01-26-2014
Registered!!

Stone Ranger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: PCV Grommet/Breather Chamber Question

This is a tricky one, since no one wants to be a hack.

Chances are it will be fine.
I would just occasionally check for crud at the pcv valve inlet.

Removing the pcv chamber, with the engine inside the car, is not a fun job. The chamber does not come apart, but when a similar thing happened to me, I was able to get my broken grommet out anyway.

Last edited by Stone Ranger; 01-27-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2014
Registered!!

Topher2253 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: PCV Grommet/Breather Chamber Question

Originally Posted by tmv2005
So I was replacing the PCV Valve and grommet yesterday, and, like many posts here and elsewhere have described, the grommet broke because it was so old. Basically the outer ring of the grommet was hard, and as I was trying to pry it out, it fell into the breather chamber.

I referenced this post
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ue-broken.html

But my issue is that the grommet didn't break into smaller pieces. Only the outer ring broke, so basically the entire grommet is sitting in the breather chamber, now.

Can anyone tell me what CAN happen if the grommet isn't removed? I don't necessarily worry that it'll be sucked into the engine because it's too big of a piece to pass through anything. Could this prevent enough oil from reaching the engine?

And finally, the only way I know to fix this is to remove the Breather Chamber, as was mentioned in the previous post, but when I look at this diagram,

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...HAMBER+%281%29

It seems like even if I can get the Breather Chamber off, I might not be able to get it apart. Does anyone know how the BC comes apart, so that I can access the part?

I should mention that I drove the car 130 miles after installing the new grommet and valve yesterday, and the car performed really well. Is it only a matter of time before this issue creeps up, or is it something that might never cause an issue at all?
I just did the same thing. You must be lucky because this has caused low idle after warming up on my 00 civic ex. also I am guessing because of the pressure buildup it cause my BRAND new crank seal to leak. after I let off the gas when warmed up the engine vibrates and almost dies then settles back up to 400-500 rpms which is still low. it was running GREAT before this happened. no leaks no problems. If you get the breather chamber off the grommet should just fall out the big hole. if you have a 99-2000 though good luck with that I just spend all night trying to get the upper 10mm bolt off for the BC. Older civics you can get in between the intake channels to get to the bolt, but mine has checkered aluminum filled in. The checkered aluminum almost seems like its there to be busted out if need be, but unless I know that for sure I don't feel comfortable banging on my intake so I probably need to take it off :/