Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Changed timing belt, now I have an intermittent whine...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ncornilsen is an unknown quantity at this point
Changed timing belt, now I have an intermittent whine...

Hi,
I changed the timing belt in my 2000 civic DX, and have this odd whining sound. I re-checked my timing belt tension (Loosened the bolt that holds the tensioner, rotated the motor 180 degrees CCW, and re-tightened the bolt.) so I don't believe this is the issue.

I replaced the water pump as well, using the RockAuto kit.

The noise does not show up until the engine has reached operating temperature, and the idle drops. a slight RPM change makes the sound stop. it does not increase with RPM.

If I rev the motor, the noise doesn't always come back right away - sometimes it takes a minute, other times it does come back right away.

It almost seems as if it has to do with the water pump, but is there anything else I can check before I go through the PITA and expense of replacing it?

Thanks!
-Nick
Old 12-19-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changed timing belt, now I have an intermittent whine...

You can use a length of hose or tubing as a stethoscope to more closely locate the source or general area of the noise.

Works well for me when I need a bionic ear.
(You might need to be over a certain age to get that one.)

Next thought:

Get it to make the noise consistently.

Follow all normal safety precautions for this:
Slowly and carefully loosen the radiator cap to relieve pressure in the cooling system, see if that makes any difference in the noise.

If it did, then the seal for the water pump shaft is causing it. Replace the pump (try OEM parts).

If no difference, then keep looking elsewhere.

I have seen this before, but not on Hondas. This is exactly how I figured it out.

HTH
Old 12-20-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I have seen this before, but not on Hondas. This is exactly how I figured it out.

HTH

Thanks, I'll try that! It does almost seem as it it comes and goes with the thermostat opening and closing, so the rad cap should tell me something.
Old 12-20-2012
Please, DubTee is my father, call me Dub

dubtee1480 is an unknown quantity at this point

I like RockAuto and you can buy some good parts there... but you can buy some real garbage too. Ask me how I know. If the part is still under warranty you can return it, possibly for store credit instead of a swap if you press hard enough. I'll throw my lot with ezone and say def go OEM on the water pump. Use the credit to buy wiper blades and spark plugs
Old 12-20-2012
Registered!!

I did the radiator cap test. I popped the cap off, and the noise stopped. I replace the cap, and it didn't come back for 30 seconds or so. I removed the cap again, and it didn't stop.

The noise is definitely coming from the water pump area. I think I'll just get a new WP. I replaced the idler pulley but I think I buy another from Honda I guess.