Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

new intake loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda12345 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question new intake loss of power

i got a honda hx with a b16a2 dohc vtec in it it recently had a horrible intake on it, it had a long ram with a specter filter on it. The ram and the filter where old as dirt and had rust on it so i replaced it along with the metal bracket peice that goes with the intake to the manifold and so forth. Anyway it has gone downhill so bad i have lossed so much power and the gas is going down so bad its not funny ive talked to a couple people and their stumped too!! The old filter that was messed up put out more power than the new short ram please help if it makes the difference its a 97 motor!!! I was also throwing an 02 sensor code and a couple others but dont think it would effect it that bad!! I could be wrong im no machanic!! Also the gears have changed 55mph would be at around 4 grand in 5th now its like MAAYBE 3 grand (rpm) its like this from 3rd up!
Old 10-27-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: new intake loss of power

intake should not affect much unless there is an air leak or a sensor is not installed properly.
Old 10-27-2012
Registered!!

I wouldnt have figured it would either but it didnt start until i swapped em out i know the o2 sensor going into the intake is hooked up good but theres another sensor thats not hooked up but it has no spot so idk any ideas of what it could be?!
Old 10-27-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

could be the MAF (mass air flow) sensor? that would noticably affect how the car drives.
Old 10-27-2012
Registered!!

nsxvtec will become famous soon enough

Your O2 sensors are in the exhaust not the intake. You mean the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor. Have your engine checked. A Leak-down and a Compression test should give some idea as to the condition of the motor. Also check the IAC (Intake Air Control) Valve or EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Valve. 97 Civics do not have a MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor).

Last edited by nsxvtec; 10-27-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-27-2012
Registered!!

Ok thanks ill do that i really apprecieate the ideas!!! This had me so agrivated it wasnt funny!!!!