Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New Exhaust, No Power, Low Idle, Wtf

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM for Lyfe is an unknown quantity at this point
New Exhaust, No Power, Low Idle, Wtf

Just threw in a new catback exhaust thinking I would gain a little power and i somehow lost power or gained none. the idle before that was bad anyway but now it is even worse. stock exhaust had hole in manifold. This one is on but still sounds like it leaks somewhere. surging idle. IAC? just drove the car up a steep hill and had to downshift because i was slowing down way to fast and by the time i was near the top of the hill i was down atleast 20 mph and barely moving. im taking it in to the shop monday because i do not have time to fix it. its my dd and i can't go tampering with stuff that will make it not run. if its something simple though i can do it myself and save me the hassle. any thoughts?
Old 09-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: New Exhaust, No Power, Low Idle, Wtf

Wow, I would have fixed the idle before bolting on new parts. That's just me though.

How did you fix the hole in the manifold? Did you properly seat the gaskets where the exhaust components connect? If you didn't the exhaust will be extra loud at that junction.
Old 09-13-2012
Registered!!

new full exhaust kit. header back. maybe needs a tune up idk. plus and wires look old as ****
Old 09-16-2012
Registered!!

idle just randomly started to get better. up around 500 - 800 rpms after 20 - 30 mins of driving. seems like the engine is a little cold too. not sure what is happening any ideas?