Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Broken glass put down fuel filler/tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough
Broken glass put down fuel filler/tank

2000 Civic EX.

So my friend has this crazy GF. Apparently they had a fight and she ended up keying the crap out of his car, then broke a glass bottle and proceeded to jam the broken glass down the fuel filler pipe.

The CEL has come on but the car is running fine so I'm guessing the glass is stuck in the fuel filler pipe.

Can I get the fuel filler pipe off w/out dropping the tank?

What about glass in the tank? It would be kind of hard to be 100% sure it's clean since access to the inside of the tank is limited.
Old 07-21-2012
Registered!!

Re: Broken glass put down fuel filler/tank

So I talked to him a bit more and the CEL didn't come on until after he put gas in the tank....I figure the glass was stuck in the filler pipe until he put gas in it, now it's in the tank itself.
Old 07-21-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah should be fine so long as the pieces do not get sucked in to the pump and block fuel from being moved. the gf prolly thought the glass would get sucked in and destroy the whole car, but it doesnt work like that. likely the glass will stay at the bottom of the tank forever. i dont think the pump has enough suction to pick up glass, altho small pieces maybe over time. its risky to drive like that and a good idea would be to drop the tank and clean everything up.
Old 07-21-2012
Registered!!

Don't newer cars have a screen at the bottom of the filler neck? That's why you cannot siphon gas?

If it does I doubt the glass shards made it to the tank.....
Old 07-21-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

maybe, i know 01-05 civic have the screen but not sure about yours. maybe try to siphon gas out and see if it works?