Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Misfire - Cannot Solve!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
frmg0014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Misfire - Cannot Solve!!!

I've been haunted by this issue for quite a while. The car is a 2000 Civic SE (Canada) with a 1.6L SOHC.

The problem is a rough idle and misfire at idle. I have already replaced a cracked exhaust manifold along with a different set oxygen sensors, which I thought was the cause of the issue, but the problem still exists.

The car runs fine and does not misfire when driving. Accelerates fine and is quite normal other than the rough idle and misfire while idling.

I'm getting a codes P1300 along with codes for random cylinder misfiring. The engine light flashes (misfiring) at idle and revving the car seems to stop the flashing. The light always flashes once the car gets warm enough and the idle rpm drops down.

This is what I've done so far:

- Adjusted Valves (Twice)
- Replaced Spark Plugs
- Replaced Spark Plug Wires
- Replced Distributor, Rotor, Cap
- Replaced Fuel Filter
- Added Injector Cleaner to gas (Twice)
- Replaced MAP
- Removed Throttle Body to clean all ports
- Cleaned IAC
- Cleaned Combustion Chamber with Seafoam
- Oil Flush

I also listened to each injector and they are firing. Disconnecting each injector wires also made a drastic difference in the misfiring so that means they are spraying.

I played around with different spark plug gap gapping, but that did not help. It currently has NGK V Power plugs on gapped at 0.44.

I recently checked the timing and it was off, so I adjusted the timing using the proper procedure which including shorting the two pin connector located in the passenger side kick panel. But the problem still exists!

I also noticed know that the timing after cold start up that the timing is now at 30 degrees (I have a scan tool and software on my pc that can monitor sensors on the car). I know for a fact before this used to be around 12 or 14 degrees.

I verified with the engine warm and idling that the timing marks line up exactly centered with the marker on the engine.....but whY does it show 30 degrees???

Can anyone offer some advice on what I should do next to solve this issue?

Last edited by frmg0014; 06-03-2012 at 12:11 AM.