Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1999 Honda Civic stalling issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leo1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
1999 Honda Civic stalling issues

I have a 1999 Honda Civic Special Edition. It has an automatic transmission with the D16Y7 engine (if that matters). Anyways, I was driving home from work today and as soon as I pulled out of my work, I gave the car gas, it hesitated and stalled on me. Had to put it in neutral and tried starting it several times. After the the third time it started up again and I went along my way. Next time I came to a stop the same thing happened again. It also happened a third time after i was stopped on a red light.

I've owned the car for 2 weeks now and I think it's got something to do with the fact that it was raining hard today and it's never happened on any other day. There is no check engine light and I scanned the car for codes and nothing came up.

I got a feeling it's got something to do with moisture getting into the distributor cap but I'm not really sure. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 06-03-2012
Registered!!

michael3n is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1999 Honda Civic stalling issues

Check the battery connections first. You need to check that the terminals (connectors) are firmly on the battery, and both the terminals and battery posts are clean (silver). Next make sure that the battery wires are firmly connected into the terminals, and not overly corroded. If the battery looks old, get it tested. If not, check to see if it has enough water in it (pop the caps off carefully).

If none of the above, let me know. My first guess was the battery.
Old 06-15-2012
Registered!!

Leo1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1999 Honda Civic stalling issues

Hey everyone,

I figured out what the problem was. Turns out that when I went to go change the distributor cap, 2 of the 3 bolts holding it against the housing had snapped in half, the cap was loose and therefore was causing moisture to get in. The broken bolts we're taken out and there was a bent coil in the distributor. That coil, the cap and rotor we're all replaced. Spark plugs, plug wires,fuel filter and air filter we're all replaced as well.

The problem has not come back and it's rained a lot recently.