Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

HELP, everything replaced in cooling system of '98 civic it still overheats

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tucsonciviclx98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry HELP, everything replaced in cooling system of '98 civic it still overheats

First please be nice, I am female and trying to learn about my car. A man that lives near me claims to be a mechanic. My car was overheating. He changed the water pump, thermostat and it's housing, some aluminum bar at the back of the thermostat housing (it had a hole) and when he put everything back together my a/c compressor now makes a loud screaming noise (I think the belt is loose). Now my car takes longer to overheat and as far as I can tell, only if I run the a/c. I live in southern Arizona. This is a big problem. Before anyone lectures me about getting a real mechanic, I am a single mom and I can't afford one. I think there is a clog in the hoses. I was watching him as he ran water through the system and it looked like it was clogging. I read instructions on how to flush the system and make sure no air was in the lines. It looks easy enough. I think I can do it. The problem is the clog. I see most people on this thread are saying don't use a flushing product, but how else can I get the clog out? Also, I did take my car to make sure the head/gasket is not cracked or warped.
Old 03-14-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: HELP, everything replaced in cooling system of '98 civic it still overheats

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Well... that's not how you properly flush a coolant system. Your best bet is to drain the system again, and bleed it properly. To do this:

1. Make sure the car is cold.
2. Remove the radiator cap.
3. Have the front of the car in the air, either on a sloped driveway or jacked up.
4. Put drip pan under car, remove the plug from the bottom of the radiator and let fluid drain.
5. Put the drain plug back in the bottom of the radiator.
6. Pour 50/50 coolant into the radiator.
7. Get inside the car, and put the heat on the highest fan setting and maximum heat.
8. Start the car.
9. Have a smoke and watch the coolant level go down in the radiator.
10.As the coolant level drops, fill it up.
11.This procedure could take up to a half hour.
12.Once the level in the radiator stops dropping, you know there is no more air in the system, also make sure the temperature gauge has reached where it normally runs at.
13.Shut the car off.
14.Replace the radiator cap.
15.Put the car down < important
16.Make sure the overflow is at the appropriate level ( HOT LEVEL )
17.Drive with no more overheating

Make sure your using Honda coolant, not the prestone stuff you put in. Hopefully you haven't destroyed the engine already. The only reason I say to replace the coolant again is when you flushed it with water (not properly) you probably ruined your 50/50 ratio, so better safe than sorry to replace the coolant again. Do research, and do things right the first time so your not spending money doing it twice.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...y-coolant.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-99-civic.html