Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Piston Slap Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicguy45039 is an unknown quantity at this point
Piston Slap Question

Hey guys just have a quick question. I just bought a 2000 civic ex automatic that just hit 200k miles and is bone stock. I had it to the dealership today for the timing belt package and had them listen to the ticking noise and figured it was just the valves needing adjusted. Well they called me and said it's not that and it's "piston slap" and nothing really to do for it. It's just an annoying tick that doesn't stop weather the car is cold or warm. Seems to be a bit louder when cold though then gets a bit quieter but doesn't go away. Is there anything I can try an do as far as the oil change goes such as type or weight of oil or an additive of some type? Thanks much in advance for any help or advice.
Old 03-06-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Piston Slap Question

Ummm....Exhaust manifold leaks can do the same thing: Noisy when cold, and quiet down as it gets warm.

But I can't hear your noise from here.

At that mileage, I don't know that I would worry a whole lot about any noises that aren't critical. Heck, it made it to 200k like this.

Piston slap and main bearing rattle are common on those engines at high mileage.
It takes an experienced ear and just a little hands on to determine some of the various possible causes of internal engine noise.

If you want a second opinion, I would recommend someone that is older than 40 and does (or has done) tons of internal engine work to give a listen.
Maybe another dealer?
Maybe someone at a machine shop, or someone with an A&P license at the airport.
Kids normally won't know anything about noises, they don't teach this stuff in regular schools.

Piston slap comes from the piston rocking in the cylinder as it goes up and down (excessive clearance between the piston and the cylinder), the noise diminishes as the piston heats up and expands to fit the hole (cylinder). The noise is greater under acceleration, lessens under deceleration. I mean just blipping the throttle, not driving it--although you will hear it both ways.

If it is really piston slap: it is a mechanical clearance issue, not much you can do about it without a real rebuild. Don't worry about it.

Carbon knock can be VERY similar to piston slap, it comes from carbon building up on top of the piston and hitting the head as the piston goes up and down. Acts nearly the same way and happens under the same conditions as piston slap, but you can make this one go away at times. Carbon treatments, high RPM and high load driving can make the noise go away (even if it is temporary).

HTH
Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

Thanks. I noticed at the end of my reciept it said diag for ticking noise and said found piston slap issue then says "normal operation". I just can't see how such a term "piston slap" and normal operation could even go in the same sentence together. And I did listen to a piston slap video on youtube and it's def not the same. I have a ticking sound in no way is it a knocking sound I do know the difference lol. Just one of those real small anoying things I can hear with the windows up and radio off when I'm moving slow through like parking lot or something!!
Old 03-07-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Civicguy45039
"normal operation". I just can't see how such a term "piston slap" and normal operation could even go in the same sentence together.

And I did listen to a piston slap video on youtube and it's def not the same.

Try "average condition" for the age and miles, instead of "normal".
It is just something that many of them do as they age. (IF it really is slap.)

I sure can't hear it from here. Post a video of the noise?
Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

I've never did the video thing so I'll have to try an figure that one out lol
Old 02-11-2013
Registered!!

press79 is an unknown quantity at this point

First time replying here.
I have 2001 civic si coupe and have exact sam problem.
When I search online people say all different things to try.
I couldn't solve the problem but I know why exactly.

I used to enjoy vtec kick with really high rpm. That caused my gasket licking
and engine oil burning so much. I tried to put many different engine oil and
Lucas or other engine oil liquid. Unfortunately, it is not working unless, you
drive under 3000rpm. Check your muffler if you smell or different color of smog.
Most likely engine burning. Must change gasket.
If you don't want to change it, start engine and wait for 3min. It will not make noise.
Warm up engine and start!