Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 civic lx... overheat, smoking, foamy/soupy coolant

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 98 civic lx... overheat, smoking, foamy/soupy coolant

I hate how **** that has been covered a million times on a million other forums and even effing eHOW is posted. Seriously, just typing headgasket symptoms or how to bleed coolant honda turns up pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages of results.
Old 09-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tooly145 is an unknown quantity at this point

okay so i have a 2002 civic same thing is happening a brown foamy substance when i open the radiator cap there is no milky oil on the dip stick or the oil cap..also no white smoke from exhaust and car doesnt seem to be over heating..the guy i bought it from did say it needed a thermostat and my guesses are he hasnt flushed the cooling system ever..so maybe it could just need a thermostat and flush and new antifreeze or new head gasket what do you guys think ?
Old 09-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wingsfan19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tooly145
okay so i have a 2002 civic same thing is happening a brown foamy substance when i open the radiator cap there is no milky oil on the dip stick or the oil cap..also no white smoke from exhaust and car doesnt seem to be over heating..the guy i bought it from did say it needed a thermostat and my guesses are he hasnt flushed the cooling system ever..so maybe it could just need a thermostat and flush and new antifreeze or new head gasket what do you guys think ?
Run a compression test to check for head gasket failure. Just don't get the compression tester stuck in the spark plug hole like I did! Autozone loans them out.